Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

3.21 axle ratio

Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
There's always the axles.
this is true...but with 33's and 3.21's I can't imagine him twisting 'em apart, if you take flight you might bend one, it's a pretty safe set up. Though good to keep in mind that the more you add, the more you'll want to upgrade to take the stress...like axles, but I wouldn't be too concerned until you start adding lockers, 35's and 5.13's and are hard on the pedal
Old 10-15-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Heeeeeeeeellllllllll no...have you seen the size of a 3.21 pinion head? It's HUGE! These gears are monstrous, your not gonna break anything with 33's and 3.21's....40's and 5.38's, now you can worry about breakage

take a look at this...that's a 3.21 on the left and a 4.10 on the right

Great pic! Thanks for this. Now, we won't have to worry about gear damage, how about clutch?

I noticed a big power loss with a move from 225/75-16 steel stockers to 265/75/16.. I can't imagine going to a full 33.

I am on the verge of re-gearing as soon as I can find someone local that can handle the job. Probably only to a 3.73. Just want to be able to pull a popup camper. 1000lb max on the 3.21/unlimited is a serious bummer.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
this is true...but with 33's and 3.21's I can't imagine him twisting 'em apart, if you take flight you might bend one, it's a pretty safe set up. Though good to keep in mind that the more you add, the more you'll want to upgrade to take the stress...like axles, but I wouldn't be too concerned until you start adding lockers, 35's and 5.13's and are hard on the pedal
good to know, im usually pretty smooth with things so should be alright, most offroading is in the dunes, so always moving, meaning there will be a lot less chance of breaking stuff than if I were to be rock crawling, stop start stop start. cheers I guess the weak part would be the clutch from now on like someone else has mentioned?

Quick Reply: 3.21 axle ratio