Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2nd Gear in 3.6 Auto (2012+)

Old 01-13-2016, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gear in 3.6 Auto (2012+)

Hello fellow jeepers! I'm wondering is anyone with a newer model JK/JKU (2012+) has experienced any issues in 2nd gear. My JKU seems to practically just hover in 2nd gear before immediately shifting to 3rd. Anyone else notice something like this? Can the shift be re-programmed to fix this? My jeep only has 3K miles on it. Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Cheers!
D.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Same issue here. I replied to another thread + started one of my own. No responses or fix. I called my service dept who stated it must be the learning mode. Others have reported the same response.

I got out of my '14 Grand Cherokee because of its crappy 8AT. Now, I'm kicking myself for not getting a manual in this JK. My other 2 JKs were manual, but I thought the AT would be fine with the new engine.

Most of the time it's great, but I die inside when it does hesitate. : )

Edit: I have 6k miles right now.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2012 with 38k. I've noticed the transmission does seem confused intermittently, but I've never had any issues. Id say it's just getting worked in.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shredX
Same issue here. I replied to another thread + started one of my own. No responses or fix. I called my service dept who stated it must be the learning mode. Others have reported the same response. I got out of my '14 Grand Cherokee because of its crappy 8AT. Now, I'm kicking myself for not getting a manual in this JK. My other 2 JKs were manual, but I thought the AT would be fine with the new engine. Most of the time it's great, but I die inside when it does hesitate. : ) Edit: I have 6k miles right now.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
I have a 2012 with 38k. I've noticed the transmission does seem confused intermittently, but I've never had any issues. Id say it's just getting worked in.
I hope that's the case. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

It's not a 2nd to 3rd shift, it is a torque-converter lockup. quite normal operation when you gently accelerate.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by yoshi
It's not a 2nd to 3rd shift, it is a torque-converter lockup. quite normal operation when you gently accelerate.
So you're familiar with the the pause? It's going on with all ATs on the JK?

I guess that's good.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Hi shredX
I'm talking about 5 speed auto.
After you feel the "2-3rd up shift", push shift lever left and then you will see "1" on the shift indicator which means you were in 2nd gear.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by yoshi
Hi shredX I'm talking about 5 speed auto. After you feel the "2-3rd up shift", push shift lever left and then you will see "1" on the shift indicator which means you were in 2nd gear.
Yeah, my hesitation is for sure in the middle of 2nd gear. (5AT). Only happens under moderate acceleration.

If I'm going slow, it will simply shift into 3rd before the hesitation would normally happen.

If I'm into the throttle a bit more, it will rev though the RPM range without hesitating.

When/if it does hesitate it's aprx in the 2700 - 2900 range.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Hi

I can't imagine the hesitation but ,for your informatiom, torque-converter lockup happens only under gentle or moderate acceleration. When you stump on the gas, it will never happens.
As might you imagine, same thing happens lest of gears.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gear in 3.6 Auto (2012+)