Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

241J rattles in both 4 wheel ranges.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 241J rattles in both 4 wheel ranges.

So i just purchased my jeep a few months back and it had its fair share of issues. The one i'm looking at right now is that when i shift into 4 wheel drive i get a "ticking" of sorts. i notice most when i press the throttle hard for a quick second, i can here what appears to me the chain against the case or perhaps a piece of something clicking against the forks or shafts. I plan on tearing everything apart when i change my clutch here in the near future but i figured i would ask and see what you all thought of my issue.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would check u-joints first. Cheap and easy fix.
Front drive shaft worn? The Rzeppa-joints are easy to replace, eight bolts and a snap ring. You've got a nearly new drive-shaft than.
Front Diff making noises? Too much play in the pinion bearings?
Next oil level in the transfer case, open the fill plug and check it with a dispstick (e.g. slice of paper).

If non of the above is the reason for ticking, put it on jack stands or better a shop lift and listen again with a screw driver.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

U joints, pinion bearings and CV joints are out of the question seeing as I just regeared. I'll check fluid levels soon.

Quick Reply: 241J rattles in both 4 wheel ranges.