Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2017 JKU Hard Rock Rubicon Gears

Old 02-24-2022, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 JKU Hard Rock Rubicon Gears

Checking to see if this is all I need to upgrade my current 3.73 factory gear to Yukon 4.10? I want to go to 35's and different wheels. The 3.73 seems to be the wrong gear if I go with larger tires. Any help is appreciated. YG D44RS-411RUB (24601) - YG D44JK-411RUB (24211)

https://www.yukongear.com/shop/products/?car[]=658&car[]=659&car[]=175&ratio=4.11

Old 02-24-2022, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

You don't mention auto or manual transmission and that is important info. Typically you aren't going to notice much difference moving from 3.73 to 4.10. Basic rule of thumb is you need to move 2 gear sets to make it worthwhile from an expense perspective. If that is an auto, 35s and 4.56 are the typical sweet spot for the 3.6L unless you live around large elevation changes. If it's a manual, 4.10s might work well but again, lot of expense for a single bump.....it's not much difference.

Are you doing the labor yourself or taking this to a shop? If taking it to a shop it is almost always better to let them order the parts, that way if there are any warranty issues or questions about something being right/wrong/missing....it's all on them. Many shops won't help with a part warranty should an issue arise if they install parts a customer brought in.

To answer the main question, you'd need front and rear gear sets, and master install kits for both as well.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
You don't mention auto or manual transmission and that is important info. Typically you aren't going to notice much difference moving from 3.73 to 4.10. Basic rule of thumb is you need to move 2 gear sets to make it worthwhile from an expense perspective. If that is an auto, 35s and 4.56 are the typical sweet spot for the 3.6L unless you live around large elevation changes. If it's a manual, 4.10s might work well but again, lot of expense for a single bump.....it's not much difference.

Are you doing the labor yourself or taking this to a shop? If taking it to a shop it is almost always better to let them order the parts, that way if there are any warranty issues or questions about something being right/wrong/missing....it's all on them. Many shops won't help with a part warranty should an issue arise if they install parts a customer brought in.

To answer the main question, you'd need front and rear gear sets, and master install kits for both as well.
Thank you for the reply. It is an automatic transmission. I have had the Jeep for a couple of years and love it. I am about to install a Warn Evo 10S and Maximus-3 mount myself here in a couple of weeks when the weather gets warmer. I want to go to a little larger tire but the charts on the internet show the green for the 4.10 with anything over 33's. I live in Middle Tennessee with hills but not in the mountains. It is a stock Rubicon Hardrock and I really like the wheels but. Going to larger tires could also mean going to a wider rim. I just want to do it right not not over do it. For the gear and lift work I likely will take it to a shop. Do you have any idea what the gear change if I have to get it would run. Also if I go to larger I understand I need a lift and would like to stay away from wheel spacers from what I have read. Sorry for so much information here but this is a project Jeep for me that I will be adding a little to over a few months. Not all at the same time.

Last edited by pondfishr; 02-24-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Typically a regear will cost $1500 +/- $250 in most parts of the country, but that can vary drastically in some areas. That includes parts and labor. This is where I get to my point above. Paying $1500 for a measly bump of 75 rpm or so (moving 1 gear set) is not worthwhile. When looking at the gear charts, keep in mind those are actual tire measurements, not what is stamped on the sidewall. Most tires are not the true size they say, and some will depend on inflation pressure as well. The sweet spot for this 3.6L on the gear charts for most people is going to be that 2450-2700 rpm range at 70mph, which is where 4.56 paired with 35s (that will likely measure 33.5-34") will land you. That might seem aggressive to you, but I can assure you that many of us cruise around up near 3k rpm at highway speeds.

If you have any hesitations, I would suggest do nothing until you upgrade tires. Increase tire size and see how it feels and how much it annoys you and then reassess. I started on 35s with 3.73, 3.6L, auto and it's not the end of the world. I then went to 4.10s with an axle swap and the same tires, so I can tell you the difference is marginal at best. Yes, a few more rpms in each gear, but not worth the cash expenditure IMO. Keep in mind even jumping 2-3 gear sets doesn't make it feel like you added a supercharger....it just gets it back to where the jeep drives/shifts like it should.
The following users liked this post:
pondfishr (02-25-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pondfisher, Have you checked the VIN with the dealer to see what gears you have? I believe the Hardrock package added 4.10 gears over the standard Rubicon which came with 3.73. I know when we built our 16 JKUR i had the dealer add 4.10 as it was a $300 option. My wife daily drives this and when i swapped to 35's she noticed right away that it did not feel right to her. I would do 4.88 with the 35's as that is the same as the 4.10 with stock tires.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Prices have risen sharply over the last 18 months on gears and install. $3000 is closer to the what you are going to pay. Gears are also in short supply with the current supply chain issues. Have you installer start the order process as soon as you can. That shop I work with to do my gears and alignments just did a Gladiator regear for $3400 and he is one of the cheapest shops in the area. I would agree with the 4.56 gear ratio where you are located. Look at your actual tire sizes too. A stated 35" tire can range from 33.25" to 35" depending on the brand and model.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by nevrnf
Pondfisher, Have you checked the VIN with the dealer to see what gears you have? I believe the Hardrock package added 4.10 gears over the standard Rubicon which came with 3.73. I know when we built our 16 JKUR i had the dealer add 4.10 as it was a $300 option. My wife daily drives this and when i swapped to 35's she noticed right away that it did not feel right to her. I would do 4.88 with the 35's as that is the same as the 4.10 with stock tires.

My '17 JKU Hard Rock auto trans came with 3.73 from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
pondfishr (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nevrnf
Yes I have the VIN confirmed the build. To my dismay it says I have the 3.73.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Prices have risen sharply over the last 18 months on gears and install. $3000 is closer to the what you are going to pay. Gears are also in short supply with the current supply chain issues. Have you installer start the order process as soon as you can. That shop I work with to do my gears and alignments just did a Gladiator regear for $3400 and he is one of the cheapest shops in the area. I would agree with the 4.56 gear ratio where you are located. Look at your actual tire sizes too. A stated 35" tire can range from 33.25" to 35" depending on the brand and model.
I have the stock 255/75/17 BFG KO/2 tires that according to a tire size calculator that size is rated at 32.1". Is there a smaller lift and tire size increase that I could go to and keep the gearing the same? Would also like to keep the 7.5" wheels. I really want to replace my shocks with a better quality component. But don't want to buy something that can't be reused with a lift. The whole picture of upgrades is a tight rope that if you change this you have to change that.... Just want to keep it simple but make it worthwhile if that makes any sense.

Quick Reply: 2017 JKU Hard Rock Rubicon Gears