Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2016 Wrangler 3.6 Tick

Old 09-10-2024, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
If you've never replaced that PCV valve, probably good time to do so just as preventative maintenance as well. That thing is such a pain to access on this 3.6L. I've removed my passenger side VC enough that this last time I finally had it with that dumb "fuel line" bracket that goes over the cover. I know it has nothing to do with the fuel lines, but I believe that is what the parts catalog refers to it as. Anyhow, I cut that mofo in half so it's still there, but it really only attaches via the 2 bolts up by the intake and the 2 bolts that are down on the underside of the head are no longer used. Little things like that drive me insane. I looked hard at the bracket on the drivers side that the upper intake bolts to, and which blocks removing the valve cover, but I ended up leaving that bracket in there. I really question how much support that really provides for the intake manifold. I have aftermarket fender liners so they are pretty quick to yank off to access the lower bolts to that particular bracket, but again, it's one of those things that aggravates me to remove to get the VC off.

Heck Justin.....have you replaced all the wire loom in your engine bay yet? LOL, I could keep adding to your to-do list!
The PCV is ordered! And I snagged that "fuel line" bracket for 7 bucks, mine is half rusted and trapped by one of the VC studs. I found that bracket through some info here, and when it comes in I'm gonna consider cutting it up as well. I'm pulling the other three engine mounted brackets to clean them up and paint them. I have to do something while I wait for parts

It's funny, I did price the wiring harnesses.. Mostly just for fun. But mine are serviceable enough so I'm just rewrapping them with thermal sleeve everywhere that the plastic sleeve has dried up and crumbled away. Which is just about everywhere in the engine bay. I'll snag a pic tonight. With the fender liners, trans, battery, intake manifold, heater and evap all removed, it's actually not too bad to work on! Which is good because you've already added quite a bit to my to-do list already!
Old 09-10-2024, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Y, that is what i meant, sorry......not the full wire "harness" per se but all the corrugated plastic crap that flakes apart after years. When I rebuilt timing this last year I rewrapped all wires various sizes of nice fireproof braided mesh. It looks so better, but more importantly, there's no chance of little plastic breaking off and falling into an open engine when working on things!

Something for you to contemplate too @tombeck as 8 years and a lot of heat takes its toll on that stuff. even if you do only the side you're working on for now and then hit the other side when you get around to having to redo that one .
Old 09-11-2024, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the culprit....

Going to replace the one rocker and lifter using the spicy "shortcut method" because the other lobes look good and I am a glutton for punishment.

Will report back how it goes.

Tom

Old 09-11-2024, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

gosh, that cam lobe looks pretty bad. do you have a caliper that you can measure that lobe and compare to others to verify the lobe itself isn't worn and it's only scaring on the side of the lobe. hard to tell in that one picture.
Old 09-11-2024, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah... it's pretty bad... but I don't have a check engine light so I think I'm going to yolo. Seems as though the P.O. ran it ticking for quite a while.

Last edited by tombeck; 09-11-2024 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-11-2024, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NNHAnaDYDkux5nkf8

Well good enough for me. I did this ultra cheap. Only replaced the one rocker and lifter. Reused all the gaskets even (sprang for some black RTV for those 2 spots on the valve cover). Hope it stays fixed for a while.

Tom
Old 09-12-2024, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Glad you got it done. for someone that can get in there and do it themselves, and don't mind the time if they have to get in there again, doing it cheap and dirty is always an option. i was in my driver's side recently. i had a couple really bad rockers, and was surprised to see i had a couple more that were "less than perfect" but not yet really bad. when i first did my passenger side a few years back i only had 1 bad one, and the other 11 all seemed to be just fine but i replaced anyhow. the only downside to doing what you did is just not being able to inspect the other 11, but nbd for a few people. I've dug into my engine enough that the thought of having to get in each time makes me groan.
Old 09-12-2024, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Glad you got it done. for someone that can get in there and do it themselves, and don't mind the time if they have to get in there again, doing it cheap and dirty is always an option. i was in my driver's side recently. i had a couple really bad rockers, and was surprised to see i had a couple more that were "less than perfect" but not yet really bad. when i first did my passenger side a few years back i only had 1 bad one, and the other 11 all seemed to be just fine but i replaced anyhow. the only downside to doing what you did is just not being able to inspect the other 11, but nbd for a few people. I've dug into my engine enough that the thought of having to get in each time makes me groan.
Thanks, I'm happy to have it done. Wanted to get it done ASAP because I have a trip planned for this weekend. I'm cheap and it's a second car, so it's no big deal if I have to tear it apart again.

So that cam lobe looked really bad, as you saw. So say that exhaust valve is not opening all the way due to the bad lobe, would that throw a check engine light? Is there a potential for damage due to the exhaust valve not opening properly? The engine seems to run fine with no codes...
Old 09-12-2024, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

This is a good question that I am not 100% on. I would presume that you're looking at power loss and/or misfire, the latter of which would throw a code. if you were just experiencing power loss without misfire, i don't think you'd see anything at all. I'm not sure if it would be enough power loss to even notice. I'd suspect if you tracked it closely you might see decreased fuel economy, but you have no bar to judge that against. Would be curious to hear a longer term followup. it certainly is different when the jeep is just a toy and not a daily driver. mine is just a toy as well. I drive it a good bit, but sometimes i can go long enough that i kinda forget when an issue might have started.

Old 09-12-2024, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

This is a good question that I am not 100% on. I would presume that you're looking at power loss and/or misfire, the latter of which would throw a code. if you were just experiencing power loss without misfire, i don't think you'd see anything at all. I'm not sure if it would be enough power loss to even notice. I'd suspect if you tracked it closely you might see decreased fuel economy, but you have no bar to judge that against. Would be curious to hear a longer term followup. it certainly is different when the jeep is just a toy and not a daily driver. mine is just a toy as well. I drive it a good bit, but sometimes i can go long enough that i kinda forget when an issue might have started.
Right on, thanks. It's a lifted rubicon on 35's and I'm averaging about 19 mpg's so I don't think fuel economy is suffering too much. I will be sure to update.

Speaking of, how much lift would you guess this thing has? Tires are 315/70r17 KO2's for reference.

Last edited by tombeck; 09-12-2024 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Wrangler 3.6 Tick