Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Which JKU Should I Get?
Rubicon
89.47%
Willies
5.26%
Other - Specify
5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

2015 JKU - Rubi vs Willies

Old 11-20-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my '15 JKUR this week I sat down and told the salesman "Match the TrueCar price of $XXX and I'll take it." They weren't a TrueCar dealer, but I've found most dealers will still honor the price because they know you can just head up the road and pay that price from a TrueCar dealer. Ended up being about 2% below invoice, can't complain about that. The dealer was a pleasure to deal with, something I wasn't accustomed to with my local CJD dealer. For anyone that doesn't have a service that provides guaranteed, below-invoice prices I recommend using truecar.com, saved tons and there's no need to haggle.

To the OP, if you think you're going to run 35s then go with the 4.10 gears instead of the 3.73 (There is no 3.37, but there is 3.21). I also preferred the 430N over the 730N, but inventory within a 250 mile radius with all the options I wanted in the color(s) I wanted was severely limited. I ended up with the 730N and so far I like it alright. It doesn't have the familiar Garmin interface, but I'm sure it'll work just fine once I get used to it.

Anyway, only you know how you'll use the Jeep and what features you'll use. However, if your gut/heart is telling you to go with one over the other then you might as well listen, otherwise you may end up wishing you had. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yahooligan
When I bought my '15 JKUR this week I sat down and told the salesman "Match the TrueCar price of $XXX and I'll take it." They weren't a TrueCar dealer, but I've found most dealers will still honor the price because they know you can just head up the road and pay that price from a TrueCar dealer. Ended up being about 2% below invoice, can't complain about that. The dealer was a pleasure to deal with, something I wasn't accustomed to with my local CJD dealer. For anyone that doesn't have a service that provides guaranteed, below-invoice prices I recommend using truecar.com, saved tons and there's no need to haggle.

To the OP, if you think you're going to run 35s then go with the 4.10 gears instead of the 3.73 (There is no 3.37, but there is 3.21). I also preferred the 430N over the 730N, but inventory within a 250 mile radius with all the options I wanted in the color(s) I wanted was severely limited. I ended up with the 730N and so far I like it alright. It doesn't have the familiar Garmin interface, but I'm sure it'll work just fine once I get used to it.

Anyway, only you know how you'll use the Jeep and what features you'll use. However, if your gut/heart is telling you to go with one over the other then you might as well listen, otherwise you may end up wishing you had. Good luck!
Yeah, the 3.37 thing was my discalcula kicking in. Got numbers inverted.

I had the predecessor to the 730N on my 2K8 Rubi and liked it well enough but I defiantly thing I'd prefer the Garmin interface. Also, the 430N comes with 5 years of Sirius included, which the 730N doesn't. I'm going to miss the HD Radio I've gotten so used to in my BRZ and the missus Prius.

I've moved since I had my last JK, now I have to see if I can clear my new garage door height with 315/70R17's and a 2.5" lift.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Skippman
Yeah, the 3.37 thing was my discalcula kicking in. Got numbers inverted. I had the predecessor to the 730N on my 2K8 Rubi and liked it well enough but I defiantly thing I'd prefer the Garmin interface. Also, the 430N comes with 5 years of Sirius included, which the 730N doesn't. I'm going to miss the HD Radio I've gotten so used to in my BRZ and the missus Prius. I've moved since I had my last JK, now I have to see if I can clear my new garage door height with 315/70R17's and a 2.5" lift.
For the 2015 models, the 430N and 730N come with 5 years of Sirius TravelLink and 1 year of Sirius radio. 2014 have 1 year of each.

I'm sure the perfect one is out there for you somewhere! Good luck.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Leather seats aren't bad, they have the best potential to weather and withstand things as well if not better than synthetics.

As for disconnects and lockers they are nice but not necessary. If you like to off road even a little it may be worth getting even for light use. I'm speaking from experience. I don't off road to off road, I off road for hunting, camping and fishing and find those additions helpful.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Connectivity Group / EVIC?

Does the connectivity groups EVIC on the Rubicon include the oil temp and other "premium" gauges that the Hard Rock gets?
Old 11-22-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Go with the Rubicon if it's within budget. I've never heard of someone complain they had too much Jeep.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to consider is the transfer case difference:
The rubi tcase is lower geared, so better for rock crawling, but for most other things it is a little too low. I had a rubi in the past and 4low was too low for sand and mud. However, i always have left my jeeps stock as far as height and tires. With 35s the lower tcase gearing would probably be better
Old 11-22-2014, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Skippman
Does the connectivity groups EVIC on the Rubicon include the oil temp and other "premium" gauges that the Hard Rock gets?
It's got coolant temp, oil pressure, trans temp, tire pressures. No oil temp.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:22 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
Another thing to consider is the transfer case difference:
The rubi tcase is lower geared, so better for rock crawling, but for most other things it is a little too low. I had a rubi in the past and 4low was too low for sand and mud. However, i always have left my jeeps stock as far as height and tires. With 35s the lower tcase gearing would probably be better
That's why you should go with a manual transmission!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I totally understand about wanting a Willys , but you get every thing with the Rubicon, lockers, sway bar disconnect, dana 44s ect... Even if you don't use them you still have them and down the road you may want to lift it and go off road and not have to upgrade to those things

Quick Reply: 2015 JKU - Rubi vs Willies