Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Which JKU Should I Get?
Rubicon
89.47%
Willies
5.26%
Other - Specify
5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

2015 JKU - Rubi vs Willies

Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2015 JKU - Rubi vs Willies

Hi Gang,

It's been a while since I've been active in the Jeep community. I lost my last rig over a year and a half ago to a head on collision with a Dodge Ram truck at 45 MPH which resulted in my rear axle being removed from the sleeve and left in the center of the intersection like a theater ball pole. There were no injuries other than my pride and the loss of my JKU which was totaled.

The missus and I are planning a family in the next year or so which means I'm going to ditch my last sports car, a Subaru BRZ, in favor of another JKU which brings me back to the forum. Man things have changes since my 2K8 Rubi.

I'm currently torn between a Willies and a Rubicon and am wondering what all you guys think. Is the Rubi worth the extra cost for the lockers and sway bar disconnects?

Here's where my heads at:

I qualify for Green Sheet pricing.
I don't want leather. Why leather was ever an option on a Wrangler I'll never know.
I'm on the fence with the 4:10's. I'm planning on running 35's and think I'd probably want those over the 3:37's but I'm not sure how much difference there is.
I think I'd like to get the Uconnect 430N with the Garmin GPS.
I never used the electronic swaybar disconnects on my old Rubi.

I'm open to thoughts and input. Let me have it guys!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3.73 and 35's and its alright but I wish it was a lower gear. But I also have the 3.8 whereas a new jeep would have the more efficient 3.6. If you don't like leather then you can always get some TrekArmor seat covers. If I happened to be in your position, I'd go for the Rubi. And make sure it has 4.10's.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are far as I know you can't get a navigation in a sport. So no navigation in a Willy.
if you never used electronic swaybar disconnects, then you probably never used the lockers.
The JKU is a fun vehicle but I wouldn't say it's a great family vehicle. The rear doors are small and the are vents from the climate control to the rear seats.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Are far as I know you can't get a navigation in a sport. So no navigation in a Willy.
if you never used electronic swaybar disconnects, then you probably never used the lockers.
The JKU is a fun vehicle but I wouldn't say it's a great family vehicle. The rear doors are small and the are vents from the climate control to the rear seats.
Compared to my BRZ the JK is the most luxurious family vehicle imaginable. My wife also has a Toyota Prius for daily driving.

I have used the lockers before when driving up steep gravel/rocky inclines and such.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Two weeks ago I went into a local Jeep dealer to get a price on ordering a 2015 2 door Willys. I had been waiting to see the Tank green color in person before ordering just to be sure it looked as good as it did in pictures. The dealership got in a 2015 JKU Rubicon in Tank green so I checked it out, beautiful. The salesman asked me why I wanted a Willys when they had a Rubicon available? Then he said ‘What if I could get you in it for close to same price as a Willys?’ Really??? Ended up paying a about 2k more for a 4 door Rubicon than 2 door Willys (Invoice price). I think I did alright.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubi-07.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	584961  
Old 11-20-2014, 03:13 AM
JK Newbie

Thats a good dealership. Sell the jeeps and make some profit and get customers to come back. How much of a payment do you want? Is this going to your last jeep for a while? Get the things you want if your going to have higher payment. It all comes down to price and how long I will have the jeep. Good luck see if you can get a good price like Mojave did.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by buttnakedjeeping
Thats a good dealership. Sell the jeeps and make some profit and get customers to come back. How much of a payment do you want? Is this going to your last jeep for a while? Get the things you want if your going to have higher payment. It all comes down to price and how long I will have the jeep. Good luck see if you can get a good price like Mojave did.
Well, I pay what's called Green Sheet or EP pricing. So there's no negotiating when I buy, I basically pay the dealers invoice cost plus a $75 administrative fee. So that makes my situation kind of unique. That's how I bought my 2K8 and how I'll buy my 2015. That's another reason getting options like Nav now makes more sense for me as I get them at the discounted price.

As it stands I'm going to be getting a Rubicon. The Hard Rock is just WAY more jeep than I want. Any thoughts on options?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

I'm a tread lightly member which gives me 1% below factory invoice (not as low as EP). I got a better deal than that from finding the right dealer to buy from and negotiating. I also ordered mine versus finding one on the lot they want to get rid of. The dealer I am going thru has great customer service and is more interested in pushing units than bottom dollar which helped me tons with getting a good deal.

Willy's vs Rubicon. I think rubicons are worth the money if you're going to do a decent amount of Offroad. All the jeeps are very capable, rubicon is just a little more capable stock. Axles and swaybar disconnect are the big selling points of the rubicon, if you're not going to use the remote swaybar disconnect then maybe it is not worth the extra money. For the money difference you can buy better aftermarket axles.

BTW tank with black wheels looks super hot. The tank I saw before I ordered mine was a Willy's.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Good point about getting one off the lot. I didn’t realize that the dealership has little negotiating power on an ordered vehicle. In my case the dealership (Prestige in Las Vegas) received the Jeep on Friday and sold it to me on Saturday, this is what smart dealers do. As they explained to me the incentives they receive from Chrysler are just as important as profit, sometimes more. I ended up paying 2% under invoice, they wanted it gone!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	At the dealer-03.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	585064  
Old 11-20-2014, 08:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

you can buy them at 3% under invoice any day of the week at Davesmith.com fly in and drive out.

Quick Reply: 2015 JKU - Rubi vs Willies