Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2015 JK Stiff steering

Old 07-24-2023, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2015 JK Stiff steering

I have a 2015 JK (no modifications except a Rock Hard aluminum front bumper) that recently began having stiff steering. Not fluid leaks and no unusual noise. After much research, I replaced the steering pump and high pressure line (I had heard that Teflon break-down in the line may cause problems). Drained lines and put in new synthetic ATF+4, and went through the process of of bleeding the system. Back together, it ran great . . ., for about 10 miles. Now it is stiff as ever. Any ideas what I should try next?
Old 08-07-2023, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairs made.

Well, I replaced the steering stabilizer first, as it was the cheaper and easier to do. I did not think it was the problem, but it was due to be replaced. And it did not solve the problem. I ended up replacing the steering gear box (it was actually easier than videos I saw online) and the problem is fixed!
Old 08-07-2023, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Well good for you! thanks for reporting back how you solved the issue, it is always interesting to know that stuff.
The following users liked this post:
WV Trail Runner (08-07-2023)

Quick Reply: 2015 JK Stiff steering