Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2013 Wrangler JK transmission in limp mode?

Old 11-04-2015, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The light automatically comes back on as soon as the key is turned. Park, reverse, and neutral work. When in drive I have only one forward gear. The only way to manually shift thru the forward gears is moving the gear shift left or right. This has no effect and the transmission stays in what Ibelieve is second gear. (At 55 mph the tach is showing approx 4000 rpm.) Since the only way to manually change costs gears is by moving the shifter is there still a way to take the shift linkage loose and change gears that way or would that still only allow me to access park, reverse, neutral, and drive just like I can with the shifter inside the jeep?
Old 11-04-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt it is a linkage problem as your shifter would be free wheeling. Have you tried clearing the codes?
Old 11-04-2015, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

I took it to auto zone to have the code read and it was "wrong gear selected" they could not clear the code however.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:11 AM
JK Junkie

Part stores won't clear codes because of liability issues. If you have a friend with a OBDII tool they should be able to do it for you. Or you could just buy one as they are pretty cheap these days. Otherwise, if you plan on changing anything on your Jeep that will require reprogramming (tire size, gears, eliminate or change TPMS threshhold, etc.) then just get a programmer that can clear codes as well. That's where I would start. If it is your daily driver and you need it back immediately then I would change the differential fluids before going to the dealer just to make sure there is no mud in there.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

I hadn't thought of diff fluid. I was wondering if I needed to flush the tranny if I took it to the dealer. I think I have a local shop that is going to help me out and diagnose the problem and try to help me correct anything that would cause my warranty to be denied if it is going to be an expensive fix. The only problem is he can't get me in until the end of next week... Other tranny shops would diagnose if I agreed to let them fix it also, not just pay for the diagnostic work. They also had several day to a week waits. I was just hoping to find a magic cure on the internet that I could do myself for next to nothing money wise, lol.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Part stores won't clear codes because of liability issues. If you have a friend with a OBDII tool they should be able to do it for you. Or you could just buy one as they are pretty cheap these days. Otherwise, if you plan on changing anything on your Jeep that will require reprogramming (tire size, gears, eliminate or change TPMS threshhold, etc.) then just get a programmer that can clear codes as well. That's where I would start. If it is your daily driver and you need it back immediately then I would change the differential fluids before going to the dealer just to make sure there is no mud in there.
Guys please...
Things have changed since the old days but....clearing a stored code only tells the Jeep to forget the problem. NOT a fix it solution....oh man...
Old 11-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles

Guys please...
Things have changed since the old days but....clearing a stored code only tells the Jeep to forget the problem. NOT a fix it solution....oh man...
Different fluid will not give improper gear selected code. Differential and Tranny are sort of 2 different things or maybe that's changed too!!
Old 11-04-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Have you drained and refilled the transmission? Only way to check and see if you got water in it.

Possible you got water in the transmission while in the deep water and stuck?

Def sounds like a shift solenoid stuck or not operating. I would say disconnect all the electrical connectors on the transmission and clean them with contact cleaner, make sure pins aren't corroded. Etc.

Simple and easy checks you can do yourself while your waiting for your friends shop to have a spot open.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:04 AM
JK Junkie

Different fluid will not give improper gear selected code. Differential and Tranny are sort of 2 different things or maybe that's changed too!!
Changing diff gears will put you in limp mode. That's the thing, in todays vehicles many systems not previously related are now related. I'm not sure how sensitive the computer is to wheel speed. Could mud buildup in the diff cause enough of a wheel speed variance to fall outside the PCM calculation? I certainly wouldn't just blindly rule it out though as I have no idea what the programmed tolerance is.

Guys please...
And after he disconnects the battery limp mode is still present. Without him even driving. Is it possible that the PCM looks for a previously set code to set limp mode again when the key is put in the run position?

Last edited by 14Sport; 11-04-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't changed the fluid. I did check it thinking if it was contaminated it would show up on a white paper towel or if it had water I would notice the consistency. I will change the diff fluid. Will changing the tranny fluid suffice or should I have it flushed? I'll also check and clean all the connectors. I truly appreciate all the help guys. I'll keep you updated. And any more ideas are more than welcome.

Quick Reply: 2013 Wrangler JK transmission in limp mode?