Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2013 Wrangler JK transmission in limp mode?

Old 11-03-2015, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Wrangler JK transmission in limp mode?

I went riding Sunday with top and doors off. I drove thru a muddy area that ended up being much worse than it looked. The water ended up being within3-4 inches of running over the door will. I ended up high centered in some ruts. I tried rocking it back and forth a few times until I realized it was hopeless and got someone to tow me out. In the process the interior got covered in mud and water. The next day I stripped the carpet and interior out and started cleaning. I did spray the floor board but ess extra careful not to wet the dash or shifters. 2 days later I was driving to work and while accelerating accidentally bumped the shifter reaching for my drink. Afterward I noticed the transmission was stuck in one gear. Park, reverse, neutral, 4 hi and low all work fine but the transmission cannot be shifted from whatever gear it is such in. I have cleaned the undercarriage with a water hose as throughly as possible. The shift linkage is clean and tight. There is a light on and I took it to advance to have it read and it said " incorrect gear selected". I have 51000 miles on my jeep but it is still under the power train warranty. Is there anything simple it can be causing this? I'm afraid my warranty will be denied if there is still any mud hidden that I couldn't see to clean out. This is my first jeep and I have only had it a couple months. It Is completely stock. Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2015, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry for spelling errors, this was posted from my phone.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like either the linkage on the transmission (Under the Jeep) or the linkage on the shiftier (Inside the Jeep) is jamming because of the mud.

Crawl under the jeep and see if you remove the cable if you can shift the transmission between gears. If you can its the inside of the Jeep that's giving your issues.

Good luck and avoid mud!!

And yes, if the dealer finds mud/water marks inside the jeep they will have a COW....do not take it to a dealer to fix this issue!!! If needed find a general repair shop to diagnose.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

just for kicks and giggles I would try unhooking the battery and hold the neg and pos cables together.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

I left the battery cables unhooked overnight with no results. Like I said it will shift between all the gear positions and all gear positions function. Reverse, neutral, park, drive. It is just stuck in one gear when in drive. Moving the shifter side to side will not cause the tranny to shift up or down. It's stuck in either second or third gear. The display will not show which since it is unable to be shifted manually. What would putting the positive and negative cables together do? Thanks for all the quick replies guys!

Last edited by altonw2013; 11-03-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touching the pos and neg battery cables together will reset the ECM I believe . Almost sounds like a solenoid stuck in tranny.
Might also check the tranny module in fuse box make sure all is clean and seated good...

Last edited by Rebar-7; 11-03-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I will try that asap. Any idea how long to hold the cables together? Just touching them or holding together a certain amount of time? Again thanks again for the quick responses and not ridiculing my newb questions. This is my first jeep, always had 4 wheelers, RZR'S and such.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by altonw2013
Thanks, I will try that asap. Any idea how long to hold the cables together? Just touching them or holding together a certain amount of time? Again thanks again for the quick responses and not ridiculing my newb questions. This is my first jeep, always had 4 wheelers, RZR'S and such.
a minute should be fine.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I did all of that this morning and still no luck. All fuses good and tight. Held the cables together for close to 5 minutes. Still no luck. Going to try a different place to get the code read at today. Just worried all this driving places to get things checked is doing more and more harm. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Disconnecting the battery should reset it. But if something else is wrong it will immediately go back into limp mode. So to see if the battery disconnect is working, after you reconnect the battery start the Jeep and put it in reverse with your foot on the brake. Usually in limp mode reverse takes several seconds to engage. Also try manually going through the gears again without moving. If it responds then something else is wrong. I would check both differentials for mud myself.

Quick Reply: 2013 Wrangler JK transmission in limp mode?