Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2013 Oil Filter Bypass Mayhem

Old 01-15-2022, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013 Oil Filter Bypass Mayhem

First post in a long time.
Changed the oil on the 3.6 today, it's a 2013 so it has that stupid spring/clip deal, that, today decided to "fall-apart".
Was able to keep the spring, and the "nipple" so, it still works...
The mayhem side... the other half of the clip... I was only able to retrieve about 1/3 of it... the rest fell into the bottom of the housing, and, while trying to extract the big piece, it fell down one of the "ports".
Hmmm.
So in past bad experiences, I've seen oil pumps grind up some pretty decent stuff... fingers crossed that the pump in the JK is able to digest the old brittle plastic that's now swimming around... or it gets shot up into the filter right way and is captured.
The rig is currently my daily driver, so, I guess I'll know soon enough.
Carry on.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 408 Likes on 383 Posts

Years ago had the same got lucky it flew out onto the floor.. You are correct on it getting down to the oil pump - Good Luck, Good you caught the spring and some of the components.. Dorman Products makes a kit for about 29 bucks.. check your local parts stores.. found this on the web: The ECU should quickly pick up on loss of oil flow and do its best to prevent any further damage. It seems the 3.6L oil pump failures are not complete failures, but rather a drop in oil pressure. That’s good news since the computer should quickly limit the revs and power. As long as the oil is flowing thru the engine and the engine isn’t run hard then no further damage should occur.

Last edited by Jay2013jk; 01-15-2022 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 479 Likes on 430 Posts

I hear ya. Only thing to do is wait a few days and check the filter gain by cutting apart. Last articles on this issue with the integrated cooler had me talking to a guy here in Calgary that says he could produce an exact replica part by CNC system. But that would require a lot of committment for everyone to purchase which may not be the actuality. The first part would cost around $3-4000 but an order of 2-300 would drop the price to around 3-400 each. Most people are like governments - IE they react to problems not forsee them. So this is probably why others may have thought of this but realised not a good financial alternative. We will never get FCA to admit it was a bad design unless everyone stops buying the 3.6 Jeep or other vehicles.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Oh man, best of luck here. Please keep us posted. I replaced that dumb thing on my '13 recently.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
The ECU should quickly pick up on loss of oil flow and do its best to prevent any further damage. It seems the 3.6L oil pump failures are not complete failures, but rather a drop in oil pressure. That’s good news since the computer should quickly limit the revs and power. As long as the oil is flowing thru the engine and the engine isn’t run hard then no further damage should occur.
Do you know if it'll just run, or, will it at least throw me a dummy light?
I mean, I'm rarely over 3000rpms, and rarely more than 1/3rd pedal travel... so... not like I'd notice cut fuel-spark/rpm...
Old 01-15-2022, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 408 Likes on 383 Posts

That I do not know, I copied / pasted what I found on the Web.. In your situation I believe yours would be a complete failure if the broken part wedged in the rotor. Sorry
Old 01-16-2022, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOL!
that sounds about like my luck.
if it makes it through the week, as my DD, I'll do another oil change this coming weekend.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thought about it quite a lot yesterday and last night, the piece that fell in is certainly too big to pass through the oil pick up tube screen... on my 302 Ford... now, I'm making a big assumption that the 3.6 has a similar arrangement...
So, I hope that piece gets shot into the filter, but, if it makes it to the pan, it'll not get through the screen... and if it does, that brittle old plastic should get "eaten" or, ground up, by the oil pump. ( it was so brittle, when i squeezed it to remove it from it's "cage", it just crumpled/broke apart).
So, I went ahead and drove it to work this morning.
13.4 miles... 4.4 miles on surface streets at 50mph (~2000rpm) and 9 miles on the freeway at 65mph (2500rpm)... I ran it up to 4000rpms on gear changes on the on ramp.

So far so good.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

well, knock on cheap plastic... all is good a week and a half in... did not have time to change oil, cut filter apart last weekend... hopefully this one coming.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello

That sounds a lot like my good fortune.
I'll perform another oil change this weekend if it makes it through the week as my DD. real estate turkey villa for sale in turkey

Last edited by donalexinder24; 02-10-2022 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Oil Filter Bypass Mayhem