Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2013 milage.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 Rubicon 10A

Have a 2013 10/yr anniversary edition 6-speed with 4.1 gears and the gas mileage is terrible. I'm getting between 15 and 16 combination of town and commuting every day.

I don't have 2000 miles on it yet but the 2011 that I traded in consistently got 17-18 for the same travel routes. I did get a check engine light at around 500 miles for an 0xygen sensor(PR2097) and took it to the dealer that observed the code but could not schedule it in at that time. When I did take it back the code was no longer there. The technician that observed the code stated that it is burning rich and will decrease my MPG. However, without the code being displayed at the time of warranty service the dealer won't fix the problem. So, I'm burning rich until it trips the code again. I know it's a Jeep and not a hybrid ...but still.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JKUS 2013, Auto - after seeing this thread, just looked at mine and was shocked - I had to take a picture.. So far bone stock on suspension and tires, but I follow tire recommendation rather than Jeep on pressure (a trick I learned in my Hummer).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-636677203.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	481464
Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Oh, BTW just turned 10k on mileage..
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBlast
JKUS 2013, Auto - after seeing this thread, just looked at mine and was shocked - I had to take a picture.. So far bone stock on suspension and tires, but I follow tire recommendation rather than Jeep on pressure (a trick I learned in my Hummer).

Attachment 481464
Higher pressure will definitely yield better mileage, but at the cost of poor tire wear. (center tread wear) At the cost of large off road tires I would rather pay a little more for fuel.

The pressures on the tire are only for safety rating purposes (of the tire) and do not take into account the vehicles weight. The pressures the MFG suggest do. Overly inflated tires are less safe for handling, breaking, and wet traction. Same for under inflated just poor outer wear.

BTW - That computer lies... both high and low.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jnabird333

Higher pressure will definitely yield better mileage, but at the cost of poor tire wear. (center tread wear) At the cost of large off road tires I would rather pay a little more for fuel.

The pressures on the tire are only for safety rating purposes (of the tire) and do not take into account the vehicles weight. The pressures the MFG suggest do. Overly inflated tires are less safe for handling, breaking, and wet traction. Same for under inflated just poor outer wear.

BTW - That computer lies... both high and low.
Should have been more clear, I am not airing to the full Max PSI, in fact I aired down the other day when i saw 39psi on a day it hit 100. Just above what the MFG says. My Hummer says 30psi - the tires look flat, and they were starting to cup. Moreover, I gained over 6Mpg when I aired them up.. Ran close to 80k miles on the same tires..

As for the computer, I don't doubt that at all - I have not found one in any of my cars that are accurate. However, I did the math about 5k in, and its not that far off - I am closer to 22mpg.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigBlast

Should have been more clear, I am not airing to the full Max PSI, in fact I aired down the other day when i saw 39psi on a day it hit 100. Just above what the MFG says. My Hummer says 30psi - the tires look flat, and they were starting to cup. Moreover, I gained over 6Mpg when I aired them up.. Ran close to 80k miles on the same tires..

As for the computer, I don't doubt that at all - I have not found one in any of my cars that are accurate. However, I did the math about 5k in, and its not that far off - I am closer to 22mpg.
That's awesome... (I shouldn't have made assumptions either) is just that you said you had a Hummer so I assumed you weren't all there..... JOKING
Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2013 with 5500 miles on it. I was wondering when others do oil changes? My manual says I will get a notification when it is needed. Is everyone old school and did it at a specific number of miles or did anyone wait for the computer to figure it out?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDoubleD
I have a 2013 with 5500 miles on it. I was wondering when others do oil changes? My manual says I will get a notification when it is needed. Is everyone old school and did it at a specific number of miles or did anyone wait for the computer to figure it out?
Tons of threads on this exact topic. A common answer, and one I follow myself is to change every 5000 miles. Easy to remember.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jnabird333

That's awesome... (I shouldn't have made assumptions either) is just that you said you had a Hummer so I assumed you weren't all there..... JOKING
Thats a good one... Not the brightest idea buying a vehicle from a company that shortly after went out of business...
Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDoubleD
Mine came on at 9500 miles, which is when I changed it. The owners manual says to change it when the indicator says to without letting it go past 10k so I follow that.

Quick Reply: 2013 milage.