Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2013 died as soon as I started it

Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 died as soon as I started it

So this happened once last week and I thought I was crazy, but then it happened again today. I get in the car, start it, the engine starts and then stalls. I try to start it again and the engine just keeps cranking on its own, turn it off again and on the third time it start no problem. The car is 2 weeks and 1900 miles old(i've been enjoying it, obviously). Any ideas what this could be? I tried to search, but I didn't find anything - not really sure what search terms to even use. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by etl330
So this happened once last week and I thought I was crazy, but then it happened again today. I get in the car, start it, the engine starts and then stalls. I try to start it again and the engine just keeps cranking on its own, turn it off again and on the third time it start no problem. The car is 2 weeks and 1900 miles old(i've been enjoying it, obviously). Any ideas what this could be? I tried to search, but I didn't find anything - not really sure what search terms to even use. Thanks for your help in advance.
I read somewhere about a similar issues with intermittent starting where the module that reads the security chip in the key fob had a loose wire. But, I'm not sure the engine would crank if that was the case.

However, only 2 weeks old I would be banging on the dealer's door.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by axeman628
I read somewhere about a similar issues with intermittent starting where the module that reads the security chip in the key fob had a loose wire. But, I'm not sure the engine would crank if that was the case.

However, only 2 weeks old I would be banging on the dealer's door.
Yup, definitely going to the dealer Monday, but I need it for a trip this weekend. Hopefully it'll be fine.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Yup, definitely going to the dealer Monday, but I need it for a trip this weekend. Hopefully it'll be fine.
Good luck, have fun.

Hey, just saw your location, small world another LI jeeper.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Good luck, have fun.

Hey, just saw your location, small world another LI jeeper.
haha yup. you have a dealer recommendation? Bought the car in Bayside so I don't want to travel there, but the dealerships I visited on the island all left bad tastes in my mouth.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

haha yup. you have a dealer recommendation? Bought the car in Bayside so I don't want to travel there, but the dealerships I visited on the island all left bad tastes in my mouth.
Fortunately I don't have any experience with service departments

Bayside huh? Not sure how far you want to drive... I had a good sales experience at port jeff jeep. I've heard good things about Brown's in Patchogue. I guess you can tell I'm a little further east. Theres a Long Island thread, a lot of pages, but plenty of dealer talk mixed in, might be helpful.

LI Thread
Old 06-07-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Fortunately I don't have any experience with service departments

Bayside huh? Not sure how far you want to drive... I had a good sales experience at port jeff jeep. I've heard good things about Brown's in Patchogue. I guess you can tell I'm a little further east. Theres a Long Island thread, a lot of pages, but plenty of dealer talk mixed in, might be helpful.

LI Thread
Those are both actually closer to me. I'm from East Islip. I only wound up at Bayside because they followed up a web inquiry really well and were anxious to locate me the car I wanted. I went to Security(amityville), Port Jeff, Browns, and contacted a few places out of state who had the car I wanted in-stock and was disappointed by all of them. Port Jeff and Browns both seemed pretty good, but we got stuck with terrible salesmen at each place. It was pretty obvious Port Jeff had some solid salesmen, but they were engaged with customers when we arrived and we got stuck with some dinosaur that they had to rouse up from the back after 20 minutes of waiting for them to find someone at noon on a Friday. At Browns they had a car close to what I wanted in-stock but they were about $1000 off from the price Bayside was offering on a car that they would've had to locate and the salesmen laughed in my face when I told them what I'd been offered by another dealership, so I walked out. Bayside then tried to get that car from them when they were trying to locate my car and they said they wouldn't give it up because they had someone interested. Three days later the salesman called and asked if I'd ever gotten that jeep and I smuggly told him I had. Not that you asked for the story, but they all frustrated me so much that I like spreading the word haha. Oh and Brown's also lied to me and told me they'd just gotten the car in when I knew that it'd been there since one 1/29.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Those are both actually closer to me. I'm from East Islip. I only wound up at Bayside because they followed up a web inquiry really well and were anxious to locate me the car I wanted. I went to Security(amityville), Port Jeff, Browns, and contacted a few places out of state who had the car I wanted in-stock and was disappointed by all of them. Port Jeff and Browns both seemed pretty good, but we got stuck with terrible salesmen at each place. It was pretty obvious Port Jeff had some solid salesmen, but they were engaged with customers when we arrived and we got stuck with some dinosaur that they had to rouse up from the back after 20 minutes of waiting for them to find someone at noon on a Friday. At Browns they had a car close to what I wanted in-stock but they were about $1000 off from the price Bayside was offering on a car that they would've had to locate and the salesmen laughed in my face when I told them what I'd been offered by another dealership, so I walked out. Bayside then tried to get that car from them when they were trying to locate my car and they said they wouldn't give it up because they had someone interested. Three days later the salesman called and asked if I'd ever gotten that jeep and I smuggly told him I had. Not that you asked for the story, but they all frustrated me so much that I like spreading the word haha. Oh and Brown's also lied to me and told me they'd just gotten the car in when I knew that it'd been there since one 1/29.
I went to Port Jeff, knew what they had on the lot and told them what I wanted to pay. I got the usual response of "We can't do that... how about this one for $xxx". Back and forth a few times (just doing there job, not too bad) but ultimately walked out within my range of what I was willing to pay and with a good experience. I guess I got one of the better ones. That sucks about browns, I'm always amazed at how different some peoples experiences are. My wife is considering a JK and we stopped at Smithtown to look because we were in the area, walked out and won't consider going back due to the way we were treated.

It's a shame we have to play these games at the dealerships, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. For now just be prepared to walk out and go somewhere else I guess...

lol, I just found the post I was looking for that was a recent good review of a Long Island dealership and it was yours. Made me want to go to Bayside if I have any issues.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Not good man
Old 06-07-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

I went to Port Jeff, knew what they had on the lot and told them what I wanted to pay. I got the usual response of "We can't do that... how about this one for $xxx". Back and forth a few times (just doing there job, not too bad) but ultimately walked out within my range of what I was willing to pay and with a good experience. I guess I got one of the better ones. That sucks about browns, I'm always amazed at how different some peoples experiences are. My wife is considering a JK and we stopped at Smithtown to look because we were in the area, walked out and won't consider going back due to the way we were treated.

It's a shame we have to play these games at the dealerships, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. For now just be prepared to walk out and go somewhere else I guess...

lol, I just found the post I was looking for that was a recent good review of a Long Island dealership and it was yours. Made me want to go to Bayside if I have any issues.
My salesman Andre at Bayside was awesome. Really really good, hard working dude. My buddy and I both bought Jeeps from him the same week and he personally went to NJ to get mine and PA to get his. On delivery day I dealt with two guys in finance who were complete idiots, had a big blow up and walked out. From what I understand, as a result of my experience and apparently many others before mine, one of these guys is no longer at Bayside. Another finance guy, who I was supposed to work with originally but was really busy that day, called me up and made things right. I think they've still got a few bad apples at Bayside, but if you ever wind up there on the sales side ask to deal with Andre and John, they'll make you happy.

Quick Reply: 2013 died as soon as I started it