Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 TPMS Reset/ versus tire wear

Old 10-22-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 TPMS Reset/ versus tire wear

Is there another way to reset the TPMS other that just letting the computer figure it out? I had been adjusting my tire pressure based on the contact pattern and am still not getting complete width of contact. had my tires down to 30PSI and am still close to 1/2" of non contact on the outer edges of the tires. We had our first real chilly morning yesterday and set off the LOW TIRE WARNING & light. Went back out this morning and aired up to 32 PSI while it was cool out (Also checked the spare). Drove around today different short trips about an hour total and the message has still not reset.

From what I'm reading I need to air up to placard pressure again and maybe then the light will reset then I should be OK if my pressure doesn't fall below about 29 PSI. So I'll air down to about 32-34PSI.

Now how bad am I going to be hurting my tires wearing more in the centers? Can the dealer adjust the setpoint on the TPMS or am I stuck waiting on a good programmer for the 2012's?

I know this was a little long winded but thanks for hanging in there.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

You don't have to wait.

From AEV website:
"Update: The ProCal Module has been updated and is now 2012 compatible. With the updated ProCal, you can now change gears in your 2012 JK without it going into limp mode.

AEV's ProCal Module is a hand-held powerhouse! This essential tool provides JK owners an easy, low-cost way to make a variety of useful changes not offered by the dealer or any other re-programmer. Topping the list is the ability to correct the speedometer and gear ratio when larger tires are installed. With the speedometer is left uncorrected, there is a major degradation in the performance of the stability control (ESP), transmission shifting, and engine performance.

The best part of the ProCal is that it isn’t just for correcting the speedometer. The Tire Pressure Monitoring System can now be recalibrated to better suit aftermarket tires without triggering the dash light. Further, the ProCal Module makes it possible to activate daytime running lamps, “one-touch” turn signals, enable a temporarily increased engine idle speed for winching, clear engine codes, and even has a feature to help align the vehicle perfectly for optimal ESP performance.

The ProCal Module is equipped with a series of easy-to-use DIP switches. By reading the simple Quick Reference Guide included with the ProCal module, a user can quickly dial in a code for the desired recalibration. Once the DIP switches are set, simply plug the Module into the vehicle's OBDII. The whole process can be completed in mere minutes and it's just as easy to restore the vehicle back to its original settings with the ProCal."

Northridge has them in stock. Saw a thread on here earlier today but can't find it to save my life...
Old 10-23-2011, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

Cool, may have to look into one. Just seems odd the tire pressure requirement since I'm still on stock wrangler SRA's and the contact pattern being narrow compared to the tread width.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info on the ProCal Module guys! I own a 2012 JK and I guess I need to get one of these.

I do have a question about TPMS reset too.
Is there an easy way to reset the system to accept lower PSI as a new "standard"? Right now it seems like the dealer set my system for 40PSI and anytime I air up after wheeling, I get the tire pressure light if I have less than 40. I wanna reset it to maybe 37PSI. Is there a way to do it other than unplugging the battery?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it seems like a good place to ask the question.

Thanx

Quick Reply: 2012 TPMS Reset/ versus tire wear