Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 quit and won't start.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 quit and won't start.

Well we were out today and it just shut off like I turned off the key. Tried to start it back up and it wouldn't crank. I could hear the starter relay engage but, that was it. Battery wasn't dead, still had all power to everything else. I tried unhooking the negative battery cable to reset the computer but, that didnt work. Even tried the override button next to the shifter (auto). I did find that one of the ignition packs was split open (middle cylinder on pass side). It did run rough a couple times earlier in the week when creeping at like 2mph and the CEL came on, but didn't throw a code. The next day The CEL went off. The CEL came back on after it died today but, still no code. It's had to be towed to the dealership. Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Tottally sucks...Think i red something like this happening...Does your JEEP turn over at least...
Fuel pump fuse blew...Hope you get your situation fixed bud...
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, won't turn over. Just the starter relay clicks.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Check all your connections, and have the battery load tested. Believe it or not, there can be duds from the factory
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default maybe the ticking motors in our 2012 ?

keep us updated on the find sounds like a bad ground wire though !
Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would try jumping it, it's unlikely but it could be the battery.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by eslack32
Well we were out today and it just shut off like I turned off the key. Tried to start it back up and it wouldn't crank. I could hear the starter relay engage but, that was it. Battery wasn't dead, still had all power to everything else. I tried unhooking the negative battery cable to reset the computer but, that didnt work. Even tried the override button next to the shifter (auto). I did find that one of the ignition packs was split open (middle cylinder on pass side). It did run rough a couple times earlier in the week when creeping at like 2mph and the CEL came on, but didn't throw a code. The next day The CEL went off. The CEL came back on after it died today but, still no code. It's had to be towed to the dealership. Any ideas?
um, did any of the other commenters even notice that eslack32 states in his OP that he noticed "one of the ignition packs was split open..." That is NOT just a trifle , eslack32 ; that is either the cause or a major symptom of failed ignition system; you mean the body of the coil pack itself was physically split open? I am fairly certain that those are critical to effective running, let alone starts. My main question would be focused on that Warn Wireless Aux lighting and LED lightbar you list as equipment ; you have a suitable capacity fuse in between the relay[s] and the power switch, I presume? When it was 'running rough' earlier in week, did you notice the coilpack was split at that time and continued running it? Something shorted and/or cracked that ignition pack or it was defective from the factory , I can pretty much guess and these things are so electric-sensitive and computer driven that I am suprised it turned over at all after a couple of arcs from that ignition coil opening shot out and made connections with who-knows-what ....did it smell of ozone in the engine bay when you opened it? Think, when you turn the key , it is pulling from battery to crank the Alternator that then start and fires the coil pack at massive vvoltages ....just like water, that current that is normally gonna shoot thru the heavy gauged spark-plug/cylinder lead from the coil ,will take the least resistant path to whatever grounding source it can get to quickest and that could be any number of things under the JK hood; you're lucky you didnt catch on fire, if you really mean the coil body was split open. How does that happen?!
Anyway, sure hope you find the cause and meet a fast repair. Post update to let us all know what goes down.....
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by j3ph3ry_j33p
um, did any of the other commenters even notice that eslack32 states in his OP that he noticed "one of the ignition packs was split open..." That is NOT just a trifle , eslack32 ; that is either the cause or a major symptom of failed ignition system; you mean the body of the coil pack itself was physically split open? I am fairly certain that those are critical to effective running, let alone starts. My main question would be focused on that Warn Wireless Aux lighting and LED lightbar you list as equipment ; you have a suitable capacity fuse in between the relay[s] and the power switch, I presume? When it was 'running rough' earlier in week, did you notice the coilpack was split at that time and continued running it? Something shorted and/or cracked that ignition pack or it was defective from the factory , I can pretty much guess and these things are so electric-sensitive and computer driven that I am suprised it turned over at all after a couple of arcs from that ignition coil opening shot out and made connections with who-knows-what ....did it smell of ozone in the engine bay when you opened it? Think, when you turn the key , it is pulling from battery to crank the Alternator that then start and fires the coil pack at massive vvoltages ....just like water, that current that is normally gonna shoot thru the heavy gauged spark-plug/cylinder lead from the coil ,will take the least resistant path to whatever grounding source it can get to quickest and that could be any number of things under the JK hood; you're lucky you didnt catch on fire, if you really mean the coil body was split open. How does that happen?!
Anyway, sure hope you find the cause and meet a fast repair. Post update to let us all know what goes down.....
The warn lights are hooked up properly and still work as does everything else electrical. I don't have an LED bar. No electrical smell under the hood. Yes, the pack is literally split open. No idea why because I haven't done any mods or misused it in any way.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

The dealer says the pcm is fried. I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eslack32
The dealer says the pcm is fried. I'll know more tomorrow.
Should be covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: 2012 quit and won't start.