Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 Pentastar break-in method?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Pentastar break-in method?

I saw another thread on breaking in an engine and searched for one specific to the 2012s but didn't see any.

I have never purchased a new car for myself and was curious how others are breaking in their new engines. I've read somewhere that a new owner was not going to exceed 50 mph for the first few hundred miles and then 60 for the next hundred, and will try to avoid extended highway travel (i.e. constant speed). But other than that I haven't read much. Do new cars even still need a break-in period?

So, how should it be done and why?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the manual:
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 500 miles (800 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided. Trailer tow is not recommended
during break in period.

I waited until I broke 500 miles before I did any full throttle acceleration. I changed my oil and filter at 1000. Why? Because I felt like it. I figured it was cheap insurance and I wanted to see the oil and inspect it for anything odd like debris, or metal shavings, whatever. It was around $25 and now I feel better.

This is greatly debated (and was on the 2012 info thread) but its your Jeep, follow the manual or error on the side of caution like I did. I would hate to have long term problems because I didnt keep my foot out of it for 500 miles or saved a few bucks not changing the oil.

Enjoy your Jeep!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msquaredIN
From the manual:
during break in period.

I waited until I broke 500 miles before I did any full throttle acceleration. I changed my oil and filter at 1000. Why? Because I felt like it. I figured it was cheap insurance and I wanted to see the oil and inspect it for anything odd like debris, or metal shavings, whatever. It was around $25 and now I feel better.

This is greatly debated (and was on the 2012 info thread) but its your Jeep, follow the manual or error on the side of caution like I did. I would hate to have long term problems because I didnt keep my foot out of it for 500 miles or saved a few bucks not changing the oil.

Enjoy your Jeep!
Thanks for this! I saw it on the 2012 thread but I thought it might be helpful to have it in its own thread.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by msquaredIN
From the manual:
during break in period.

This is greatly debated (and was on the 2012 info thread) but its your Jeep, follow the manual or error the side of caution like I did. I would hate to have long term problems because I didnt keep my foot out of it for 500 miles or saved a few bucks not changing the oil.

Enjoy your Jeep!
Does this mean do not go over 50 or 55 for the first 500 mi?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

i had mine 65 and 70 most the way home then had to fly to work bc i was about late mine had 7 miles when i pulled off the lot. i done my new 40grand truck the same way, i believe and have seen that if u run one like ur goin to when u first get it then it will run better, my old silverado had 100000 miles of 6000 rpm shifts and the truck had 35s plus a programmer maxed out never had a bit of problems outta it
Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default Dissecting Oil Filter after first oil change.

After my first oil change on my 12 wrangler pentastar V6 at 1,200 miles, I decided since these new oil filters are exposed and dont have a metal casing that I would cut the old filter in half and check for any debris. I pulled the pletes apart and looked closeley in and around the filter and was able to see tiny metal shavings, this is normal, and it was good to see that the oil filter was doing its job by keeping these particles from recirculating through my L/O system. They looked like little silver pieces of glitter with a few tiny strips of metal. It just goes to show you how important it is to change your oil after the first 1,000-1,500 miles. And of course replace with Mobil 1 or Amsoil 5w30 Full Synthetic.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BFG12JkS
After my first oil change on my 12 wrangler pentastar V6 at 1,200 miles, I decided since these new oil filters are exposed and dont have a metal casing that I would cut the old filter in half and check for any debris. I pulled the pletes apart and looked closeley in and around the filter and was able to see tiny metal shavings, this is normal, and it was good to see that the oil filter was doing its job by keeping these particles from recirculating through my L/O system. They looked like little silver pieces of glitter with a few tiny strips of metal. It just goes to show you how important it is to change your oil after the first 1,000-1,500 miles. And of course replace with Mobil 1 or Amsoil 5w30 Full Synthetic.
Good to know. Probably do my change around 1200 too.

Quick Reply: 2012 Pentastar break-in method?