Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 JRU Factory undercoating & Paint Protector

Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JRU Factory undercoating & Paint Protector

Hey guys,

I bought a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited a few months ago and at the time I purchased the Jeep I also purchased an undercpating package and a paint protector package. I haven't had a chance yet to bring my Jeep back to the dealer to get these things done but before I do I have a couple questions regarding both of these packages which I'm hoping someone can help me with.

For the Undercoating... will they be spraying intp the wheel wells and up under the inside of the wheel well or do they just do underneath the Jeep? Also, will they mask around the shocks so there is no overspray? I've seen some nasty undercoating jobs in the past and am just worried about what I might end up with if I get this done.

For the Paint Protector package... Is this simply a clear material attached to the paint or is this a special coating they paint on?? I was told that I wouldn't need to polish my Jeep once this special paint protector is on so I'm assuming it's some kind of clear material that is just stuck to the paint?? Can someone please shed some light on this for me?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

Get your money back! Its a total scam. You can wax your jeep and if you plan on doing any wheeling the undercoating is worthless.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

The paint protector is put on like wax in most cases. Most of them have a ____ year warranty on the paint color not to fade. We use it at work on our trucks and it is very expensive. I detailed cars for 8 years and I'm not convinced it is any better than a $30 bottle of wax and some elbow grease every 3-6 months. Not sure what they plan on charging, but if you park outside all the time and $ is not an issue maybe not a bad idea.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

I got mine done through a ford dealership because the chrysler dealership I dealt with was terrible. They only did underneath the body with the undercoating and they spayed the paint with a 3M paint coat which I assume was a clear coat but the plus side is that I am guaranteed against rust for the time I own my vehicle as well as a few other perks.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite3
Get your money back! Its a total scam. You can wax your jeep and if you plan on doing any wheeling the undercoating is worthless.
x2, money-making marketing courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Stealership.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

It's just a sealer wax they put on, you're better off doing it yourself with a high quality wax. The undercoat is worth it, especially if it's brand new and you're in the rust belt. They did a great job on mine, no overspray at all, even wrapped the Jeep in painters plastic.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
It's just a sealer wax they put on, you're better off doing it yourself with a high quality wax. The undercoat is worth it, especially if it's brand new and you're in the rust belt. They did a great job on mine, no overspray at all, even wrapped the Jeep in painters plastic.
More on my $0.02, then I am "off the pedestal."

Unless they are taking the body off of the frame, and all other running components and spraying them individually, then reassembling them all, there will be seams/gaps that will rust and corrode. The small movements of the body-on-the-frame will eventually split the liner no matter how good it is. Anyone who has owned/restored an old truck, CJ or FJ40 can attest to this.

The way I look at it, if you still own the vehicle in 8 years or so, I would then consider a body-off rust-prevention and paint process. In the mean time, cleaning the under-carriage regularly, especially after winter is more important than applying a miracle product "guaranteed" to prevent rust. The dealership selling the application is betting that you will not own the vehicle by the time the rust and corrosion become a real issue. You are betting that your vehicle will rust and corrode during the warranty coverage period, or that this magic under-coating will prevent any corrosion.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

That's for the great responses, guys! Much appreciated. After posting I went onto YouTube and watched a few videos on how they apply this paint protector... Yep it's jut a spray on wipe off deal. I thought it was gonna be more than that... $hit... Lol. I might call the stealership where I bought the Jeep and see if I can get refunded the price of both packages.

I was also concerned about taking my Jeep in for the undercoating because I had 1.5" wheel spacers installed and I wasn't sure if they would take the tires off and see the spacers and then put a note on my file voiding any future warranty work which might be relates to them.

Thanks for the help guys. This forum is great!!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like they said get your money back. Invest in a good buffer like the porter cable and do it yourself every few months. The PC is idiot proof and will take out most swirl marks. And remember the "rust" guarantee is for perforation only. Won't cover surface rust. It's a total waste of your money.

Quick Reply: 2012 JRU Factory undercoating & Paint Protector