Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 JKUS Money pit???

Old 07-13-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JKUS Money pit???

This is the first new jeep that i have bought with 4 miles on it.
since I have got i have had to get a new oil pump, new radiator thermostat, battery and now instrument cluster. Is this common or is it time to trade in.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like its time to trade. I have a 2012 and now have about 76K on it. Have had the front axle pinion seal leak, and some AC lines that rubbed on the front radiator which was my fault due to the lines being pushed against the radiator. I did not notice when I did the Metalcloak ground clearance sway bar flip that there would be some rubbing on the lines. It was like a 30 dollar mod that cost me about an extra $1000 to fix it
Old 07-13-2015, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default my 12 had issues in the beginning

but after 20,000 not a one so i knock on wood . quality control is poor . i just hope it stays trouble free now. I feel the parts used by factory are less than quality ,
they all seem to have the same problems year after year when chrysler knows how to correct these things by now

Im not complaining cuz i have no more problems lately at 33,000 miles but i dont believe anyone should pay 30,000 + and start troubleshooting from the day you pick it up , thats just outright sad

* on the upswing of it all maybe youl hit a point and be trouble free with any luck / its to bad because we all buy these for the love of the concept , not realizing that youl have to constantly figure out issues. Some people love to work on them and some dont . never the less i learned to accept and enjoy my rubicon for the good things it offers after all i saved and saved to get it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2403 (2).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	617799  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 07-13-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Battery replacement is common. They rarely last 3 yrs. other than the battery, my 2012 JKU has been flawless (except the slow clock that was eventually fixed). I now have just under 61,000 miles.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

Default my battery has been good 4 years now

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Battery replacement is common. They rarely last 3 yrs. other than the battery, my 2012 JKU has been flawless (except the slow clock that was eventually fixed). I now have just under 61,000 miles.
but im gonna toss a new one in this fall to make sure
Old 07-13-2015, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
my clock runs slow as well haha

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-14-2015, 02:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Rubi
my clock runs slow as well haha Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
There is a service bulletin that fixes this slow clock issue. Just do a search for jk slow clock TSB. You have to bring both sets of keys to the dealer when they perform this. Had mine done about 2 yrs ago. Have not had to adjust the time since then.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Default this time clock issue seems odd to me

i see so much on it , yet i havent noticed anything on my 2012 re: the clock loosing time . and is it really just the clock that is the issue if so whats the big deal dont most people wear a watch ?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maratts
This is the first new jeep that i have bought with 4 miles on it.
since I have got i have had to get a new oil pump, new radiator thermostat, battery and now instrument cluster. Is this common or is it time to trade in.
Traded my 2 door sport in on Friday. I had 43K miles on it, heat was not working cost to fix was going to be near $3k, brakes were going to need to be done, it had a new noise coming from the engine compartment that sounded as if either the water pump or steering pump was going out, it was going to need a new battery soon, roof panels were really starting to leak that never leaked before, and the final straw was after it sat for 4 days I started it up and it was kicking out blue smoke.

I got $20k + for trade, I paid $25,500 for it, drove it for 3 years and put 43k miles on it. So I was happy about that. And I got a 2015 JKUR in a color that I'm happy with and got rid of the Manual Trans that I absolutely hated.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RoysRig

Traded my 2 door sport in on Friday. I had 43K miles on it, heat was not working cost to fix was going to be near $3k, brakes were going to need to be done, it had a new noise coming from the engine compartment that sounded as if either the water pump or steering pump was going out, it was going to need a new battery soon, roof panels were really starting to leak that never leaked before, and the final straw was after it sat for 4 days I started it up and it was kicking out blue smoke.

I got $20k + for trade, I paid $25,500 for it, drove it for 3 years and put 43k miles on it. So I was happy about that. And I got a 2015 JKUR in a color that I'm happy with and got rid of the Manual Trans that I absolutely hated.
2010 mountain edition. Had lots of issues with heat. Finally had to get the heater core replaced.
Also...radiator, front and rear callipers, pads, front rotors, and the battery as well....but those last about 5 yrs...so expected.
Love the jeep. But this is the very last dodge product i will purchase (20 years in dodge so far). Quality is a crapshoot. Shouldnt have to shell out $5k in repairs after 5 years.

Quick Reply: 2012 JKUS Money pit???