Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 Jk with Pink Oily fluid leak drivers side in area of power steering

Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Jk with Pink Oily fluid leak drivers side in area of power steering

OK, no big did deal, but I have a Pink Oily fluid leaking from the driver side around the power steering area. So far I haven't ben able to locate where it's coming from or if it's power steering fluid for sure. I have the 6sp manual tranny too. When parked for several hours, it leaves a 3"-4" circle of fluid. I can see it dripping down shock mount and above on the frame rail.

I only have 200 miles on the JK and undestand this happens with new vehicles, so I'm not to concerned. It goes into the dealer tomorrow to be fixed.

I was just curious if anyone else had this problem and what it turned out to be.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that there has been some power steering lines leaking. No big deal, run it back to the dealer.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, not to worried about it. Was just more intetested to see if this a common problem or not.

It under warrant, so i don't care as long as they fix on first try.

This is the first new Jeep i have ever owned in the 35 years i have owned Jeeps and i'm lovin it
Old 02-11-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Took Jeep to dealership today. My wife took the call, so info is vague, but they had to order a part which is on back order. Said it as ok to drive. I'll pick it up later tonight and call service dept. on monday to find out full story.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carl D
Took Jeep to dealership today. My wife took the call, so info is vague, but they had to order a part which is on back order. Said it as ok to drive. I'll pick it up later tonight and call service dept. on monday to find out full story.
Make sure you let us know what the problem is/was. I just got my 2012 yesterday, so I'll be watching out for leaks now....lol
Old 02-13-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talked with service department today. They advised that the Steering Gear Box was leaking. It's been back ordered and not sure when it will be in.

I'm guessing:

A. This is a common problem and they are out of stock

B. New Steering Box for 2012 model and just don't have enough built yet for replacement parts

Either way, it's under warranty, their problem not mine.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, Dealerhsip called this afternoon and the Power Steering Gear Box came in today. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning to have the repair done.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

New Power Steering Gear Box installed this morning. Mechanic stated that this is the first 2012 Jeep Jk that he has seen in the shop with this problem. He stated that he has not heard of it being a problem for the 2012 models.

The mechanic did state that on occasions they have to replace a sterring gear box on Chrylser products, which include the trucks and passenger cars. He said and defective seals happen and aren't awlays caught right away.

So far I'm very happy with my JK and the dealership.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just started having this problem... Had to drive several hundred miles and kept an eye on the trans fluid level and PS reservoir, with no real change... Taking mine in Friday morning.

OK, no big did deal, but I have a Pink Oily fluid leaking from the driver side around the power steering area. So far I haven't ben able to locate where it's coming from or if it's power steering fluid for sure. I have the 6sp manual tranny too. When parked for several hours, it leaves a 3"-4" circle of fluid. I can see it dripping down shock mount and above on the frame rail.

I only have 200 miles on the JK and undestand this happens with new vehicles, so I'm not to concerned. It goes into the dealer tomorrow to be fixed.

I was just curious if anyone else had this problem and what it turned out to be.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
JK Freak

It also might be coming from you radiator reservoir, it has spill over spout near that area.

***lol just read all your other post, forget what I said!

Last edited by 08YELLO-RUBI; 02-27-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Jk with Pink Oily fluid leak drivers side in area of power steering