Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 JK Engine pinging / knocking

Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to update my last post. I picked up my 2012 that had the driver's side head replaced at the dealership. $1300 fully covered under warranty. (It has 22k on it.) It is night and day from when I dropped it off. Drives amazing and no rough idle or pinging sound! Gears seem to shift smoother as well as a result of the engine running much better.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 PM
JK Newbie

Great news drich!
This is encouraging.
Maybe that is my issue. I will say that at times the idle seems pretty rough.
The whole thing remains a mystery to me.
I went for another ride with the shop foreman, yesterday. Now he thinks that it is transmission not engine (my original guess), and will try to look at it starting Tuesday.

I still intend to try seafoam, per everyone's suggestions, now that I am getting down toward 1/4 tank.
One thing that wasn't clear from the posts so far: will seafoam improve the symptoms if the head is the problem?

One thing I am dead certain of, it is temperature related for sure.

I will also become more adamant about the head issue next time I'm at the dealer.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update -- seafoam helped!

hi folks,

So I finally got around to trying the seafoam last weekend. I put in a full can when I had about 1/4 tank or so left. I ran it for some wheeling and around town that weekend, and darned if it doesn't seem to run better now. The knocking has not disappeared, but it does seem to be better, and the idle seems a bit smoother in general as well.

I should also note that I had been turning off the engine at long stop lights around town to save gas, and I haven't been doing as much of this lately, so this may be part of the issue. (The shop foreman at my local dealer seemed to be of the opinion that this could be source of carbon buildup.)

Had it out this weekend for a 2-night trip to Anza Borrego including a quick look at the desert safari madness and some wheeling in various places in the park. Didn't notice too much pinging, except a bit when pulling the small trailer up some grades on the way in Friday night.

There is, however, still transmission noise (recall I have the 6sp), and I had taken it to the dealer last week. They monkeyed around with it and it is now much worse, but they have ordered the new (I assume updated) shifter assembly (as well as the module for the slow clock) and will take care of it when these parts arrive. We'll see how this works out.

Thanks again Ryan0260 and others for the seafoam tip, I'll be curious how long it will be until I need to run another can through.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK Engine pinging / knocking