Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 JK engine pinging

Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 with manual trans and I notice light pinging when the engine is under a minor load at less than 2000 rpm. It's not continuous - to me it acts like the knock sensor pulls timing when it detects the pinging. I think it's acting normally, as designed. I've noticed it happening more in the warm weather and as I accumulate more miles. I wish it didn't do it but I'm not overly worried.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

At this point I'm not totaly concerned either. Yours is doing the exact same thing for sure. I'm hoping bully dog is coming out with a programmer for the penstar soon.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only irregular noise I have is the ticking sound coming out of the left side....not sure what the root cause of this is, I have read a few different things

Anyone else experiencing the ticking noise in the 2012?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Yeah, I read that, too. I was hoping he would go back and read his owner's manual. There is the slight possibility his manual does say to use mid-grade. That's the only reason I can think of for him to post such a positive statement.
Here in Colorado 87 octane is mid-grade. Just sayin
Old 07-09-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
Only irregular noise I have is the ticking sound coming out of the left side....not sure what the root cause of this is, I have read a few different things

Anyone else experiencing the ticking noise in the 2012?
Yes! Just really took note today. The Jeep just hit 1000 miles. I was nearby so I stopped by the dealer. Booked until the 17th. Wouldn't even look at it. Afraid of the whole bad head issue :(.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Well.... I thought I had a rattle in my exhaust somewhere. When I start it up in the morning it makes this noise, but once I put it in gear and back out, it goes away. But today at work, my co-worker was like, it sounds like pre-detonation. I completely forgot about it, as I assumed it was exhaust.

Gonna record it when I start it up tomorrow morning. Just did a test start when it was still warm. Got that on video. Arg.

Crossing fingers the head isn't bad.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2013 and I have a slight rattle/ ping at first start up in the morning. Sounds as if the top end is dry. After it idles down it slowly goes away.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Yes my 12 JKU is pinging. Not sure how long it's been doing it since I had my JKU half dressed the past few weeks weather permitting.

It's not bad but it's annoying for a new vehicle to be doing it.

I also have a intermittent rough running issue almost like a dead cylinder once in a blue moon when my JKU has sat for a few days and I go crank her and drive off.

It's only happened 3 times in the past month and half if that. I am trying to record it happening with my iPhone.

I also feel my valve train noise has got louder. No CEL's yet. Not too worried yet. Kinda hoping it will self destruct itself. No use bringing to the dealer yet.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default Dry start

I thought the dry start thing was a 3.8 problem. If my 2010 car sits for a few days it makes noise at startup. Only for about 2 seconds. After that I can start it 100 times that day with zero noise. So I'm fairly sure it's from being dry. I hear a better filter can make a difference. I've tried all types with little difference.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I have been monitoring what mine has been doing. It is intermittent right now at start up. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether it sits for a week or an hour, sometimes it clatters like hell and other times no noise at all. Only at 4200 miles and its not a daily driver right now. We have a trip planned to the OBX in November that it is going on so it will get some more miles there. From what I have researched a lot of people with the head issue seem to find it starts running bad and throwing cels around 10K miles. Oh well, at least the motor should still have warranty on it lol.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK engine pinging