Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 and '13/14 Seat Cover Compatability

Old 01-02-2015, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 and '13/14 Seat Cover Compatability

I have a 2012 JKU Sport and am wanting to change the seat covers to the OEM '13 and newer JKU's. The only problem I have is I can't find any proof showing the '13/'14 seat covers will/will not work on 2011-2012 JKU (I'VE SEARCHED). Now I know that '07-'10 are one set of seats with complete different frames and molding, so I'm not looking to find out if those years are interchangeable.

I see different companies stating some seat covers will fit '11-'14, but don't know if they are just referring to seat covers that pull over the original seat covers, or seat covers where you take off the OEM covers and install new covers.

So what I'm trying to figure out is:

1) Will the '13/'14 OEM JKU/R seat covers fit the '12 JKU?
IF YES: Did you do it personally or know somebody who has done it?
IF NO: GO TO #2 (How do you know it will not fit?)

2) If not: A) is it because the the seat cover stitching/molding/frame is completely different?
B) are the '13/'14 seat larger / wider / longer / taller?
C) is the padding just different?
i) if so, GO TO #3

3) if just the padding is different, can I install foam padding to the raised area under the seat cover?

If you say "just get oem seats from '13/'14 JKU from craigslist, you'll save money and time", that is not true. I've looked into it and cost 3 times more than seat covers.

Any knowledge on this "mod" will benefit more than just me because I can't be the only one on here that likes the creature comforts of the jeep.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not an expert but having a 2012 and now a 2015, with leather interiors on both......i'm going to say the entire seats are totally different. Not saying you couldn't make it work but i'm going to go with extremely difficult.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Tell you what I'll do. I just took my black seat covers out of my 2013 JKU. If you wanna try mine I will send to you. You pay the shipping down there. I'm in Tennessee. And if they fit you pay me what you think it's worth + shipping and it's yours. If they don't you pay to ship it back to me. They are in excellent condition.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1888227672.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	590364

Here it is
Old 01-05-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Truck Company 37
I'm looking for leather seat covers, and am a little hesitant on trying it myself since I'm not much of an upholsterer. I've read responses on this forum, as well as other forums that it will not work, but no 100% verification as to somebody trying... But looking into it a little more, I might just get leather seat covers for the '12...
Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't done it so this is just side info. I have a 14 and bought the Trek Armor covers for mine. They fit, but there is probably .75" strip where the velcro is exposed instead of being covered completely by the opposing velcro. From my research, I believe in 2013 Jeep added more padding to the seats. Can you add a piece of foam to make up the difference? I would guess probably, but have no idea where the extra padding was added (top, sides, bottom of the pad?) or how it would look. I would call an upholstery shop if you plan on having it done and ask them.

Quick Reply: 2012 and '13/14 Seat Cover Compatability