Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2011 soft top problem

Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 soft top problem

Dont know if this is specific to 2011 or JKU's or just me but figured Id post up in case. I had to have my soft top replaced after only have it down 3 or 4 times because the top would hit/rub the 3rd brake light whenever I took it down which wore a hole in it. There are also a couple of screws that stick out as well, for now I figured Id just put some weather stripping on the back to at least soften the blow if it does hit or rub. I didnt have this problem on my 2010 2dr but I know Im not the only one cause the dealer said he had 3 others with the same issue and the hole was in the same spot. Fortunately they covered it under warranty, "THIS TIME".
Old 09-15-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have the exact same problem on my 2011. Only put the top down a few times and it has started to wear out exactly where you indicated. I also have two pin holes on the drivers side where the brackets for the top are rubbing against the canvas material. I was in at the dealership today to see what they will do. They asked me to return tomorrow and they will look into it further. I'm hoping that I am as lucky as you and that they cover it. They did tell me that they have yet to see this problem.

I will keep you posted on my situation.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepNoob10
Dont know if this is specific to 2011 or JKU's or just me but figured Id post up in case. I had to have my soft top replaced after only have it down 3 or 4 times because the top would hit/rub the 3rd brake light whenever I took it down which wore a hole in it. There are also a couple of screws that stick out as well, for now I figured Id just put some weather stripping on the back to at least soften the blow if it does hit or rub. I didnt have this problem on my 2010 2dr but I know Im not the only one cause the dealer said he had 3 others with the same issue and the hole was in the same spot. Fortunately they covered it under warranty, "THIS TIME".
Originally Posted by 2011Unlimited
I have the exact same problem on my 2011. Only put the top down a few times and it has started to wear out exactly where you indicated. I also have two pin holes on the drivers side where the brackets for the top are rubbing against the canvas material. I was in at the dealership today to see what they will do. They asked me to return tomorrow and they will look into it further. I'm hoping that I am as lucky as you and that they cover it. They did tell me that they have yet to see this problem.

I will keep you posted on my situation.
My 08' has always done this as well. I never put the top down without opening the tailgate....my top is still like new!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Hmm... off to check mine now...
Old 09-15-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

My dealer called me yesterday for a soft top recall. Was there this morning and after inspection they're replacing the soft top because of pinholes... Just a heads up.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

While i haven't done a thorough inspection of my 2010 4dr soft top, i did receive a notice in the mail this week mentioning quality issues (pin holes) on the soft tops, and it said to bring my jeep to a dealership for them to inspect. it said something regarding the 2nd and 3rd bows specifically. All softops will get some type of covering installed to protect against this issue, but if the issue has produced pin holes, they will replace the soft top.

Regarding the wear from the tail breaklight rubbing, not sure this covers that issue as the manual states you should open your tailgate before lowering/raising your softtop
Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

My dealer called me yesterday for a soft top recall. Was there this morning and after inspection they're replacing the soft top because of pinholes... Just a heads up.
That has been a common issue. I had 2 soft tops replaced on my 08x I used to have for the pinholes.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Did they change the top from 2010 to 2011?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Recall notice came today for 2010-11 soft tops for pinholes and wear at the bows. Dang thing was in the shop today for two other recalls and an oil change and they mentioned nothing about it. I get home, check the mail, and there it is.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
Recall notice came today for 2010-11 soft tops for pinholes and wear at the bows. Dang thing was in the shop today for two other recalls and an oil change and they mentioned nothing about it. I get home, check the mail, and there it is.
x2. Got mine today after leaving the dealer.

Quick Reply: 2011 soft top problem