Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2011 rubicon rear locker will not unlock

Old 03-15-2021, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 rubicon rear locker will not unlock

I have a 2011 Rubicon that will not unlock the rear locker. I put it up on jack stands and opened the diff cover the plate is all the way to the right as it should be but the locking dog is fully locked. i can unlock it manually unlock it. and it seems to move freely. i used a lot of brake cleaner to clean the area but it still will not fully unlock. I'm thinking the wave spring behind it is weak or broken. The question is what is the part number for the wave spring and is the a good video of how to fix this problem?
Old 03-15-2021, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I'd agree that it sounds like the wave spring. As far as I know, that is not replaceable. The only record I know of one of those things being opened up was ronjenx's locker study to show the internals and how it worked. I can't recall ever seeing someone open one up and rebuild it for use. I had a locker crap out like this as well. It was terribly frustrating. I pulled that damn thing and it would work fine on a bench running straight 12v to it.......reinstall everything and it would refuse to unlock. Adding to the frustration is that there aren't any 32-spline rear lockers as a replacement, they're all 35-spline which means new shafts as well. I had a friend with an extra rubi locker that he donated to me at the time of my issue.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

I have seen that post and it is a great help. With as many JKs' running around you would think there would be a stock over haul kit made for the wear parts in them.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Looking back now, I wish I had just torn that locker apart, but I moved it over to a friend who could use the housing it was sitting in as a pay it forward thing (longer story). I really figured at the time that if @ronjenx hadn't found a solution for that it was a dead issue. I think we even conversed back and forth a couple times about it. ronjenx is still around and adding value so I've tagged him here. idk if he'll get an alert and chime in as most his focus is electrically related. I wish I had better news for you. I'm not saying it's never been done period, but I read a lot and unless it was only done on one of the other sites, I've never seen it.

***mine locked up while in Moab with a 15hr drive home ahead of me. That was fun. I was able to get it unlocked before leaving town. I guess I'm grateful for that. It took jacking up the rear ends and really working at it (recall it worked fine when not under any load on the bench).

Last edited by resharp001; 03-15-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

So I found a kit but it has led to more questions. The kit is listed for 2012 rubicon so did the rear end change from 2011 to 2012 ?
Old 03-16-2021, 03:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm not the end all be all authority. Got a link? I'm curious to look at it. I don't recall anything about that e-locker changing over the years.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

This site says this is a fit for application.
https://viciousoffroad.com/i-3057849...rvice-kit.html
Old 03-16-2021, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I didn't see a price on that link, but this link (granted an AU one) looks like that kit is $214, and that seems like a bit of a gamble -

https://www.vpw.com.au/parts/eat-26885-00s

Going down the rabbit hole trying to really confirm what that Rubi e-locker is. I see several places say the locker is produced by GKN and it works "like the Eaton e-locker". That would make me really wonder if that Eaton kit would work for it or not. I think I'd feel better if there was a wave spring pictured exactly like what is in the Rubi locker.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

here is the same kit for 149
https://cppdiesel.com/eaton-26885-00...a-44-2-pinion/
I have the same experience GKN seems to be the manufacturer for the diff. and the rabbit hole is deep on this subject.
As there does not seem to be any support GKN diffs. I need to find the measurement of the original wave springs and go from there.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

I have looked around my local area and have had no success finding a take out stock locker. Does anyone have a good source for a take out GKN e locker?

Quick Reply: 2011 rubicon rear locker will not unlock