Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2011 JKU Soft top--REALLY TIGHT?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 JKU Soft top--REALLY TIGHT?

even when my soft top on my 2008 2 door was new, i still didn't need to wrestle with it like i do on my 2011 JKU.

i attach the front clamps(but don't lock 'em) and then attach the back corners. i need to essentially pull down with all 220 lbs of me on the corner to get it to hook in. i tried to pull down on the roof itself to get some extra slack, but no dice..

i've had my top on for about 3 weeks. i hope it'll stretch a little in the sun & summer..

am i doing something wrong?
thanks
steve
Old 04-17-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my 09, I had a hard time getting the top on for a while. The hot sun helps and the taking it up and down lots helps. This will be my 2nd summer with it and it's pretty easy now.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by debsJK
When I got my 09, I had a hard time getting the top on for a while. The hot sun helps and the taking it up and down lots helps. This will be my 2nd summer with it and it's pretty easy now.
Pretty much. I find it easier to do the rear corners first then the front latches.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

i tried doing the rears first, but the front latches were about 1/2 inch short..
Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front latches first because the framing is easier to pull down with your weight than it is to pull the framing and top forward to latch. I would say this is normal. The material takes a while to stretch, and it's always easier to work with when it's warm or in the sun light for a while.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea, new tops are a bitch. My factory top was tight, but the trektop I just installed was almost 2 inches short on the last corner lol.

Lots of heat. I put a space heater inside the cabin and used a heat gun on the outside.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Give her time. it will loosten up after a while. It really makes a huge differance as to the temperature outside and how warm the top is. Mine is 4 years old and is super easy in the summer, but impossible when its cold out.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Leave it in the sun for about 2 hours, as expanded as you can, then try again. I remember the first time I put mine on, I thought it was defective or something.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've done the back corners first then the front clamps. I've only had mine all the way down twice now. The first time it did get cooler as the sun went down and it was a bear to put back up. The second time I left it in the sun and did it while it was warm and it was much easier.

What I had problems with was the rear window. The zipper was off by a couple of teeth from the factory to begin with, then the zipper totally got out of sync and I could not get it all the way out or back in. Finally I just kinda pulled on it and yanked a couple good time and the zipper slipped and it came out. I figured it'll either break or come loose. Well when I put it back in I was able to get it lined up properly and now it works great.

Sure hope mine wasn't a Friday afternoon Jeep...
Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

i had the same problem when i had my 2008 JKU

Quick Reply: 2011 JKU Soft top--REALLY TIGHT?