Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2011 JKU manual rattling on acceleration

Old 06-29-2022, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 JKU manual rattling on acceleration

Hey everyone,

So my Jeep has this very annoying rattling sound when accelerating. It doesn’t happen in neutral and it seems to not happen that often in first gear. So in second gear and up between 1,500 and around 2,500 RPM. It also only happens when the Jeep is at operating temperature.

It sounds like it’s coming from the engine bay, or possibly the transmission area. I know from looking on this forum that the usual suspect is the crossover pipe heat shield but I have put 4 hose clamps all along the pipe and it didn’t help at all.

it sounds like a rock rattling around in a can and it’s driving me bonkers. It’s pretty loud when I’m driving next to a building or another car. I don’t want my Jeep to sound like a shitbox!
Old 06-30-2022, 04:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by beano
it sounds like a rock rattling around in a can and it’s driving me bonkers.
This line right here immediately makes me think of what a bad cat sounds like. Given the age of the jeep that wouldn't be too surprising. Search up bad catalytic converter on YouTube and see if that sound is familiar or not. It's a pretty distinct sound.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
This line right here immediately makes me think of what a bad cat sounds like. Given the age of the jeep that wouldn't be too surprising. Search up bad catalytic converter on YouTube and see if that sound is familiar or not. It's a pretty distinct sound.
i looked up some YouTube vids and that seems to be the sound. Well I guess I’ll get under there with a mallet after work and start banging on the cats to see if they rattle.

if that’s the issue what’s the best fix? New cats? Cat delete? I’m in Michigan so no emissions to worry about.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Y, the only answer I've ever known was new cats. I'm not sure if removing cats is 1) a real option or 2) going to wreak havoc with OBDII codes or not. That's just not an area I can claim to have a lot of knowledge.

Quick Reply: 2011 JKU manual rattling on acceleration