Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2011 JK Owners only. Reliability and build quality?

Old 08-13-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steering buttons stopped working almost immediately on mine, but a gentle punch to the wheel fixed that.

Around 5000 miles I noticed the passenger door lock switch didn't work. My wife says she thinks it might never have worked.

I just noticed the rear diff cover is seeping from somewhere high on the driver's side. I've only wheeled it a few times, but there are enough scrapes that the dealer will probably not cover it. I was going to upgrade to real diff covers anyway.

Even with all that, this is by far the greatest vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

About 4100 miles on my Unlim. Rubi; black exter., tan leather interior, nav, pretty loaded; no real problems; I had the rattle that sounds like the shoulder belt attach point; but the elctrical tape fix on the door strikers fixed that, I also had the rear gate rattle; moving the striker in so it shuts pretty tight eliminated about 95% of that.
I replaced the shocks and stabilizer w/ bilsteins; a very good upgrade imho.
I got the sirius disc update for the nav; I may see if I can get the sirius "traffic" service too; if it works it might be a help in L.A. The nav and sirius traffic radio has been a help; there's an audio station just for L.A. traffic.
I also added the tan hothead headliners, tan weathertec floor liners and a full liner for the back; my dogs seem to approve.
I have some skids to add and eventually I'll probably add a CAI and have the exhaust redone for a bit more power, I also have a trans cooler I haven't had time to put on yet because this Jeep will be towing some stuff eventually.
The unlimited JK is a perfectly practical suv for hauling stuff and going to work; the 2 door would be fun to drive but is a little small for what I need.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

2700 miles on my 11 Unlimited. I had the front right side Freedom panel replaced. It was filling up with water when it rained. I have the steering wheel glitch also, a quick smack on the wheel and I am able to scroll thru trip info again. My front passenger side window sounds like it's eating itself when going up - a future warranty claim I'm sure. Other than that, no problems.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyberil
I'm about to order a new 2011 JK. I love jeeps and have wanted one for the last 30 years. I live in England so I'll be getting a diesel 2 door.

The UK reviews say the plastics and on road manners have improved but I've mentioned to three garage owners that I'm getting a JK as my only car and their faces hit the floor. Basically telling me that compared to what other vehicles are for sale they're crap. I currently drive a LR2.

I'm prepared to have a car with a few niggles but I'd like to hear from any 2011 JK Owners about their vehicles reliability and build quality. What stories have you got to tell? Good or bad...and has the reliability improved in 2011 jeeps compared to previous models. Remember I'll be getting the diesel engine.

Cheers mate.

Paul
I've had Cjs, TJs, an FJ crusier and now an '11 JKU... and I have to say the JKU has a level of fit and finish that is just as good as the FJ and light years beyond any other jeep I've owned. Cheers to Chrysler, who so far seems to have actually made good on their promise during bankruptcy to do a complete 180 on their quality control. Of course time is the best judge, so we'll just have wait and see, I guess.

We Americans will probably never know the joy of driving a Diesel Wrangler though.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

2011 JK Unlimited here with 2500 miles. Steering wheel glitch is the only issue i've had to date. True the gas engine is a bit underpowered, but I knew that before I bought it. I've driven Toyota Trucks and SUVs all of my life, so I was a bit nervous going to a jeep, but I have been pleasantly surprised so far - its a tough American vehicle and you do look cool driving it.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought mine new in Jan. I have about 9000 miles on it so far (2 dr sport). No problems to report.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good to see no drive train problems. There is a lot of complaining about no power but not one engine related brake down here. I bought mine too last a long time and it sounds like I made the right choose.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bought my 2011 JKU auto with 24S package on April 12.

Have over 17000 miles on it as of yesterday.

I have had ZERO real issues.

I get the steering wheel button issue when the wheel is in the full up position occasionally.

My fenders (with mud guards) flapped like crazy on the interstate, I searched on here and I posted about it a few times with no response. I solved the problem by using zip ties to "pull" the mud guards back and down (I really need to post a how to on that).

My mileage increased around 6000 miles.
And it seems to have increased again around 16000 miles.

Just like everyone else, I wish it had more power, but no quality control problems.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Paul,

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say, "jeeps require so much maintenance, and are unreliable". This generally is said by people who have never owned one. As for my vehicle, I waited a long time to purchase my 2011 Automatic Unlimited Rubicon, have owned it for 8 months, and am very happy with it. Overall, the fit and finish (e.g. plastic, body panels, seats (I have leather), instrumentation, etc.) is much better than my TJ or XJ, and the only complaints I have are:

- "Hot oil" light came on 15 minutes into my first outing on the sand. I have since learned to run only in 4 Lo, and have not seen the issue come back, but this makes for slow going with the Rubicon transfer case.
- Chrysler cheaped out by putting a plastic "air dam" up front, which offers zero protection to the expensive sway bar disconnect.
- Chrysler cheaped out by replacing the old transmission skid plate with a "bar", which looks more like a cross-member. (Commentary here - My suspicion is that this has more to do with the "hot oil" issue than it does with cost savings.)

As for the reliability, I know this does not apply to you, but I've found the 3.8 to be a solid motor, and I knew what I was getting when I bought it. It does have its issues, but then again what engine does not? One of the many things I like about the '11 model is how easy it is to work on. Everything in the engine compartment (e.g. A/C, alternator, water pump, radiator, fan, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, etc.) is so accessible it is almost ridiculous. One added bonus to all this room is that it gives you the ability to easily add other stuff (e.g. dual batteries, air compressor, on board welder, etc.). Additionally, the transfer case, transmission, differentials, etc. are also easily accessible and appear reliable thus far (i.e. they give me no reason for concern). In fact these were all key factors in my decision making process for buying the '11.

Bottom line, I only have around 8 thousand miles, which is probably no sufficient data, but I have found the JKU to be very solid and reliable vehicle thus far. When you add in the ability to switch tops, remove the doors, and accessorize, nothing compares! Hope this helps.

Last edited by Running Man; 08-14-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

2011 Rubi since November 2010. Everything is great no issues at all. I am in love with the Jeep and want to drive it top down all the time.

I too would like 4inch lift 37s and better gearing.

Quick Reply: 2011 JK Owners only. Reliability and build quality?