Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2011 Jeep Wrangler engine code P0139

Old 03-27-2020, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Jeep Wrangler engine code P0139

I have replaced the 02 sensor bank1 sensor 2 with one from NTK and now one from the jeep dealer and both times after about 20 minutes drive time the code ( P0139) comes back.

Last edited by Devlin Clark; 03-27-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

So you've got to look further into the diagnosis. I don't have the manual in front of me but usually these codes call to make sure you're getting voltage to the pigtail and that one wire is a ground. You've purchased the correct brands of parts, did they sell you the sensor for the correct position??
Old 03-28-2020, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
So you've got to look further into the diagnosis. I don't have the manual in front of me but usually these codes call to make sure you're getting voltage to the pigtail and that one wire is a ground. You've purchased the correct brands of parts, did they sell you the sensor for the correct position??
The Auto Zone sold me the wrong sensor that is why I went to the dealer, oneof the techs said it sounded like it was in the wire harness and when I asked how much it would be to replace he said over $500 for them to do it. I'm retired and alittle disabled so I cant do it myself. I can however buy a multimeter and a manual
Old 03-29-2020, 05:34 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Just a double check: Bank 1 is passenger side and sensor 2 is after the cat. That's the sensor you replaced, correct?
Old 04-01-2020, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Just a double check: Bank 1 is passenger side and sensor 2 is after the cat. That's the sensor you replaced, correct?
Correct I also checked for a exhaust leak, none found.
The 02 wire harness after sensor 2 plug has outer insulation (part covering all wires) open but actual covering over individual wires looks ok.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Here's the possible causes, and some details on P0139. I'd connect the laptop (or other scanner) and graph the O2 sensors plus RPM and take a drive. It's way easier to troubleshoot when one can see exactly how the sensor voltage is acting, especially when it's an engine with two banks for comparison.

Incidentally, if anyone has installed spark plug anti-foulers in the threaded hole for the O2 sensor to try and fix a cat efficiency DTC -- That would probably be the problem.

When Monitored: Vehicle is started and driven between 32 and 88.5 km/h (20 and 55 mph) with the Throttle open for a minimum of 120 seconds. Coolant greater than 70 degrees C (158 degrees F). Catalytic Converter Temp greater than 600 degrees C (1112 degrees F) and EVAP Purge is active.
Set Condition: The oxygen sensor signal voltage switches less than 16 times from lean to rich within 20 seconds during monitoring. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.
Possible Causes
EXHAUST LEAK
(K141) O2 1/2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
(K904) O2 RETURN DOWNSTREAM CIRCUIT
O2 SENSOR

Quick Reply: 2011 Jeep Wrangler engine code P0139