Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2010 soft top on 2008

Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 soft top on 2008

Ok first I would like to say I have searched till my fingers went numb.

I have a 2008 2 door with OEM soft top and frame. I recently got screwed on craigslist and a guy sold me a bestop replacement sailcloth replacement top ( just the cloth and windows) saying it was for the 2007-2009 ( needless to say it wasn't) He now won't return my calls or txt. Lesson learned I should of been anal and took it all out of the box and made sure its the right one.

Since this is the new cable style I would really like to make it work ( with out buying a new frame)
I have contacted quadratec and they said it will work with the bestop replacement door surrounds and tailate bar. I emailed bestop they said it will work and called bestop and they said it won't. Does anyone know? Lol

I am aware the 07-09 frame has no mount for the spring to attach to. My friend will help me weld a bracket to the bow above the sound bar.

Has anyone got this to work or seen it done?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have never seen that done, if he/you are confident in doing it then I would say it might be worth the try, at worst you could cut it off and grind it smooth, but my worry would be with welding a bracket on that it wouldnt be exact and could rub a hole in the canvas replacement top.

Did you get a good deal on the replacement canvas? my recommendation would be to try selling it again. as finicky and fragile as our tops are to leaking now, cannot imagine what a modified one would be like (not doubting your friends skills), but its up to you. just remember here is your risk

1. you have to buy new door surrounds
2. you have to buy the cable/springs
3. you have to weld the bracket on for the springs

so you will have at least 200 in parts and shipping invested in those new parts and if it doesnt work out with the welding or does and rubs a hole in the top...then you are out the $200 for the new surrounds, might need a new frame (370), and might need a new sailcloth again (700 new).

sucks but I would say put it up for sale and start looking again

Quick Reply: 2010 soft top on 2008