Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2010 mountain

Old 08-10-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by conquest
I'm probably crying over spilled milk but thought this should have handled a little better . Pretty sad that a 87 and 2000 jeep both with about 150k on them handle better than a 2010 with 2500 miles. I guess I expected too much from chrysler. again tx for the feedback and i will let you all know if corporate gets back to me. so far they are 2 days neglecting to call back. even if they tell me to go screw tell me , if supervisors dont call back than who can you rely on when there is a real problem. i guess i have a bitter taste at jeep because i had a 07 liberty limited that the head had to replaced at 32,000 miles because #4 cylinder not firing. got it repaired and traded it in for the jk a cple month later because mileage dropped to crap about 13mpg was never the same.
Let me know what happens. After two years of living with this vehicle I am considering trading it in for something else not made by Chrysler.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Let me know what happens. After two years of living with this vehicle I am considering trading it in for something else not made by Chrysler.
no problem
Old 08-10-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Sad isnt it. I have had a number of issues as well. I recently looked at the Ford Raptor. My wife to be keeps begging me not to get rid of it, and I end up loving my Jeep all over again. Problem is, I am extremely anal and have no patience, and this vehicle has really tried my patience.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ryanc
Sad isnt it. I have had a number of issues as well. I recently looked at the Ford Raptor. My wife to be keeps begging me not to get rid of it, and I end up loving my Jeep all over again. Problem is, I am extremely anal and have no patience, and this vehicle has really tried my patience.
I thought you were all good after the ball joints? My girlfriend is the opposite, she is begging me to get rid of it at this point..
Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryanc
I know, like everyone says its a jeep thing. It takes a lot of money to build these things up if you choose to. Its not cheap to own a jeep. Once i bought my yj, it went to 2 others. Back in the day it was building and lifting trucks. parts were cheap, easy to come buy and easy to work on. I had a chevy stepside 12" lift with 44's and it had better street manners than what i have.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I thought you were all good after the ball joints? My girlfriend is the opposite, she is begging me to get rid of it at this point..
Balljoints are fine, however since then.... My A/C compressor has been broken twice, possible busted axle seals, and I can no longer keep my tires in balance. Oh well. I have put sooo much time and effort into this rig, I just cant give it up. The more shit breaks the more I learn. My wife to be says I have Jeep Munchausen, constantly looking for broken shit etc. Some days I think I am going nuts.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is the steering linkage from a TJ/XJ. You can see that its a Y. You can see that if one side was to go over a bump that the other side could flex and stay straight.

With The TJ linkage you can see how little it is and how may points can fail and leave you on the trail. For the trade off of not having HEAVY DUTY, you get a better ride. Bump steer is very little. The effort to keep it going straight is minimal. On a trail if you bend this you are pretty much sol. you cant do a poor mans alinement unless you know what your doing. There are so many places if bent would mess up both adjustments. First time I did an alignment on one it I took hours and through a wrench out the bay. With this set up for every action there is a reaction. You learn to do the passenger wheel first and then work on the drivers wheel.

An here is a JK steering linkage. You can tell it is more HEAVY DUTY then the TJ. The trade off with getting HD is you loose ride quality.

This is the most commonly used in heavy trucks. That is why you see the guys drive a 18 wheeler constantly moving the wheel. This will give the driver lots of feedback. An the road will push it. Bump steer is very common with this set up. The strength of this set up is known to all that wheel. If you bend the Main link lossen it and run it out till its close to haven wheels striaght. Then if you bend tire to tire rod, you do the same. Very easy trail fix to get you home and not destroy your tires.

While I am unsure as what he means dash moven side to side. I can say this, a Jeep Wrangler will always be like driven a covered wagon. Every Jeep I have ever owned wondered all over the road. An no I dont drive badly. I had friends ask me about it as we would take off places. I would tell them to drive it if they didnt like my driven. Usely after about 2 minutes they would pull over and tell me to drive that it was hard as heck to keep it straight steering was bumping left and right.

To if the steering wheel is rotating left and right. Some is normal. If the wheel is turning more then 1/8 of a turn from center either way it needs to be looked at by dealer. It then really could be a bad steering dampener, bad caster set up. A simple test to see if yours is leaking or if its bad is to take toilet paper and run the steering back and forth several times. Take and run it over the bare shaft. An if your useing the cheap stuff youll end up leaving paper dingle berrys if its leaking fluid. If you are using the good stuff you should only get what looks like residue on it, like you had a drop of oil on the fender if it is working correctly. Its like a Hood shock.

Know, these will never drive like a car. A car uses a strut and is in all counts of the word independent. While one wheel hits the bump and goes up the other stay right where it is at. That means you can use a rack and pinon steering box. mounted in front of or behind the axle. Now they still suffer from bump steering. Any effort is only acting on one wheel not both. Ride quality is as good as you can get. While the the car is sitting higher then lower control arm. the center of the hub is normally at the lowest point of the chassis. Which means that the shock from a bump is directed straight up into the strut tower. An the stress is left in the tower. Little of the shock makes its way to your butt.

In contrast solid axle with control arms, The frame is much higher then the axle. An the force of the hit is loaded on every thing. What shock the spring and shocks take and dont transfer will be re routed the to the arms. Then from the arms to the frame. Then the frame to your butt. This is why most trucks ride like crap.

Last edited by 98jeepboy; 08-10-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Sorry to hear that the OP is having such issues. I have read a lot of great theories by folks trying to help you out. That being said, until Chrysler gets back to you with an answer either way you won't be happy and rightfully so.

I recommend going to the dealership and letting the Service manager know that until he/you get a call back from Chrysler you will stand in the show room RANTING about the crap customer service and quality of the product to every potential customer in the place. That or drop back twenty and punt.

I can't say one way or another if your rig is having any issues other than what is inherent to the design of an unlimited JK but I wish you luck with your troubles.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Finally word word from corporate after demanding to talk to a supervisor higher than the one handling my case or I was calling bbb or my lawyer, after being neglected and promised a call back for 2 days and I got my call within 45 minutes. They agreed on 2 things, first was to add shims to adjust camber and second the stabilizer and shocks. I agreed on the shocks but not the shims. This vehicle has not been lifted and do not want to alter anything from the factory as of yet. They did say that they will not guarantee that the shocks will help and I said ok. Only stip is that i have to pay the taxes, whatever. This should happen within the next week. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hope the shocks do it for you.

Quick Reply: 2010 mountain