Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2010 mountain

Old 08-09-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2010 mountain

Just bought a 2010 mountain pkg. unlimited. Have issue since day 1. Was wondering if anyone out there has one and if you have any complaints in its steering, and handling habits. If i go over bumps pot holes or manhole covers i will get a dashboard shake or wheel movement. It happens at any speed. The islander pkg has a upgrade for the performance suspension and the mountain does not, found this out after buying vehicle. I have a 2000 cherokee w/160k plus and does not do what the jk does and also have a 87yj 4" lift w/33"swampers and does not do it either. I called jeep and asked why do they not put the rubi, sahara or islander upgraded shocks and steering stabilizer on the mountain. Was supposed to hear back from jeep corporate possibly by end of day last friday and of course nothing, he said he was waiting to get a price from the dealer about the shocks and i said i was paying for nothing jeep should have thought this out and its their problem. I had x calls into case manager today and no decency to call back. Salesman took for a ride and said should not do what its doing, ex service manager took for ride and said thats how it is nothing he can do but also said someone else complained . Any input appreciated
Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

Id leave it there until they could fix the problem..I thought the mountains also had the same up-grade package as the Islander. I think its the steering stabilizer. I know it was changed in 2010 models.. keep us posted.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned an 09 X(Sport) and never noticed the problems you're referring to. By your logic, every Sport model should be exhibiting these characteristics. But they don't.

I'd suggest you drive an Islander and a regular (non-Mountain) Sport. I think you'll find that they behave exactly like your Mountain, and that the vibrations you're feeling are simply inherent in the JK platform. Perhaps you're just more sensitive to them than most.

If your Jeep really does have a problem, it's highly doubtful that it's related to not having Rubi/Islander shocks. I'm afraid that your theory that this is all related to your not having the "upgraded" shocks may need to be revisited.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
I owned an 09 X(Sport) and never noticed the problems you're referring to. By your logic, every Sport model should be exhibiting these characteristics. But they don't.

I'd suggest you drive an Islander and a regular (non-Mountain) Sport. I think you'll find that they behave exactly like your Mountain, and that the vibrations you're feeling are simply inherent in the JK platform. Perhaps you're just more sensitive to them than most.

If your Jeep really does have a problem, it's highly doubtful that it's related to not having Rubi/Islander shocks. I'm afraid that your theory that this is all related to your not having the "upgraded" shocks may need to be revisited.
it is hard to explain what this thing does. you get a reaction in the wheel and throughout the vehicle, like it gets loose after going over certain things. if this is how they ride i could just imagine when modded. again my cherokee drives like a caddy over things compared to this and my yj yes will jar your back but i do not get the loose left to right movement and dash shake and do not feel any reaction to the bumps in the wheel. the ex service manager at the dealer said quote you sort of have a rubi suspension and that the stabilizer is better on the rubi. the only thing i have is a dana 44 rear. why would they offer upgraded suspension on the islander and not the mountain. islander i think beach and mountain i think moab. should have been other way around. for a 32k vehicle i don't think it should drive like it does
Old 08-09-2010, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by conquest
it is hard to explain what this thing does. you get a reaction in the wheel and throughout the vehicle, like it gets loose after going over certain things. if this is how they ride i could just imagine when modded. again my cherokee drives like a caddy over things compared to this and my yj yes will jar your back but i do not get the loose left to right movement and dash shake and do not feel any reaction to the bumps in the wheel. the ex service manager at the dealer said quote you sort of have a rubi suspension and that the stabilizer is better on the rubi. the only thing i have is a dana 44 rear. why would they offer upgraded suspension on the islander and not the mountain. islander i think beach and mountain i think moab. should have been other way around. for a 32k vehicle i don't think it should drive like it does
I agree. Are jeeps included in the 30 day Chrysler test drive? May want to execute that option.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Your jeep has 32k miles on it.. your dealer is probably buying some time till your warranty runs out. $$$$$
Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ssg381
Your jeep has 32k miles on it.. your dealer is probably buying some time till your warranty runs out. $$$$$
I only have 2000 miles, I meant the 30,000 price tag
Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Tex

did you have stock tires, these pkgs. Come with 32" this might be causing this
Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you spent $32,000 on a Mountain Edition JK?

You go back there and get a Rubicon for $32,000.

As for your dilemma, I don't believe it's the shocks that are the issue..
You bought what you bought, if you thought it was what it actually is not, then you should have gone through everything very finely before signing.
The dash shake could be an underlying issue, which needs checked out if it's a real problem. Good luck with your search
Old 08-09-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
you spent $32,000 on a Mountain Edition JK?

You go back there and get a Rubicon for $32,000.

As for your dilemma, I don't believe it's the shocks that are the issue..
You bought what you bought, if you thought it was what it actually is not, then you should have gone through everything very finely before signing.
The dash shake could be an underlying issue, which needs checked out if it's a real problem. Good luck with your search
Paid 28k sticker was 32k don't make me feel bad.

Quick Reply: 2010 mountain