Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2010 JKU gas tank capacity

Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 JKU gas tank capacity

hey guys,

got my JKU few weeks ago, I have been driving on and off. Finally my gas tank was empty , the gas light came on the dashboard , I filled it up with around 17 gallons. The tank is full.
According to the JKU specs the tank holds 22.5 gallons and the 2dr has 18 gal. do you think there's something wrong with the computer in my jeep?

couple of weeks ago the dealer replaced the PCM and crankshaft positioning sensor. do you think any of that could be related ? j
ust wondering, I expected to get more miles with a 22 gal tank !!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Jedi

Generally, when the low fuel light comes on, you have about a couple of gallons in (I believe the light comes on right around 35 - 50 miles to empty?) At around 0 miles to empty, you'll still have about a gallon of gas or so in the tank. So, if you filled up when the low fuel light came on, my guess is that you had between 3.5 - 5 gal still in the tank.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Generally, when the low fuel light comes on, you have about a couple of gallons in (I believe the light comes on right around 35 - 50 miles to empty?) At around 0 miles to empty, you'll still have about a gallon of gas or so in the tank. So, if you filled up when the low fuel light came on, my guess is that you had between 3.5 - 5 gal still in the tank.
That's what I was wondering, if I had about 5 gallons left when that low fuel light came on and it says 30 miles left...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by aboabdo
That's what I was wondering, if I had about 5 gallons left when that low fuel light came on and it says 30 miles left...
There were a couple of times where I've filled up about 30 - 40 miles after the light came on (mostly city driving), and I was only able to fill between 19 - 20 gals. Of course, now I usually fill up around 1/2 - 1/4 tank mark, so it's been a while since I've seen the low fuel light come on .
Old 08-13-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the owners manual the JKU holds approximately 22.5 gallons. On mine when the light comes on w/ chime I have 4 - 5 gallons left. The distance to empty counter switches to low fuel at 3 - 3.5 gallons. Had the gas gauge needle on (E)mpty once out of curiosity and still had 2 gallons left. Just my two centavos
Old 08-13-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can confirm that the 2dr is the same 18 gal with an apprx 5 gal res when the light comes on. I was on a trip when my light came on the first time I had 25 miles to drive to a gas station. when i got there i still had 4 gal left.

Quick Reply: 2010 JKU gas tank capacity