Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2010 JKU - 6-spd Manual Tranny Slipping - Clutch Replaced

Old 08-31-2021, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 JKU - 6-spd Manual Tranny Slipping - Clutch Replaced

My 2010 Unlimited is exhibiting a slipping clutch while on the highway. I had the clutch, pressure plate and throwout replaced and the flywheel surfaced about 18 months back. JK currently has 87,000 miles on it. All had been fine until recently. While driving yesterday in 6th gear, I depressed the accelerator for an upcoming hill and the RPM's jumped up by about 750, but the Jeep didn't accelerate. After a few seconds the RPM's dropped back down and the clutch caught and it picked up speed. This has happened a handful of times recently.
Are there any adjustments that can be made at the clutch? Would this be a sign that the fluid is low in the clutch master cylinder? I had the clutch work performed by a professional mechanic that I've used for 30+ years. He knows what he's doing. Hate to go back to him until I've checked out the obvious things.

Thanks,
David
Old 08-31-2021, 07:40 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

By all means check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder (it's a clear reservoir), but that won't cause slipping. Air in the hydraulic clutch or lack of fluid causes the opposite problem of not being able to fully disengage the clutch.

Best to take care of it quickly, and keep the throttle low to avoid slipping.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.T
By all means check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder (it's a clear reservoir), but that won't cause slipping. Air in the hydraulic clutch or lack of fluid causes the opposite problem of not being able to fully disengage the clutch.

Best to take care of it quickly, and keep the throttle low to avoid slipping.
Brake master cylinder is fine. I was asking about the clutch master cylinder. Didn't know if it needed to be checked for fluid level.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Default common reservoir...

Originally Posted by dgore2
Brake master cylinder is fine. I was asking about the clutch master cylinder. Didn't know if it needed to be checked for fluid level.
It's a common reservoir for both brakes and clutch. Side note for the curious, there's a baffle inside so that a leak on the clutch side doesn't drain the brake system.

Quick Reply: 2010 JKU - 6-spd Manual Tranny Slipping - Clutch Replaced