Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2010 JK Whislte w/ Hard Top!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet I can fix your problem. Look at the windshield and see if it says mopar on it. I bet the windshield has been replaced. This is a known problem with the JKs and one that I have painfully experienced myself. I also tried tapping my windshield fully. You must tape every possible place the air could come in to include any place the metal fits together. I did this several times until I got a good seal. My windshield would only whistle when I reached 40mph and it was loud...so loud that it was extremely annoying.

What causes this is the bead of sealant used in the factory sits closer to the edge of the windshield. Installers like safelite will not put it that close when they install it. It makes just enough room for air to get in the channel and whistle. It took me 6 windshields to figure this out.

You can have them reinstall the windshield and make sure they press the sealant to the very edge. Which is what I eventually did. Or you might be able to place some black sealicone in the channel if you can do it unnoticably. It wouldnt take much.

Although they could have put a mopar back in it even if it was replaced. I tried 3 different brands to include Mopar. I would bet money that this is your problem because its sounds so similar to what I had. There are a few threads about windshield whistle around here somewhere. They will whistle in the very center of the windshield. If you can picture a guy standing up with his ear to the windshield going 45mph down the highway..... Thats what I had to do. I wasn't driving of coarse! Hope this helps.

Goodluck

Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

Dealer replaced all my seals and all is good! Keep taking it in...they'll get it right!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2010 2 dr - one month old - same thing - whistle at 35-40 - panels on or off. No water leaks with panels in place....at least for now.

Based upon my rather limted due diligence on this:
> not the antenna
> not the mirrors

Probably something associated with windshield or intake area...per comment from Texas below.

hmmm. with top on or off..........
try removing the attenna mast and go for a trip....
try removing the side mirror mounts from door(two screws inside. (this is for investagional purposes only)
try taping off the ac duct inlet below windshield
try taping off the winshield frame bottom accross the jeep.( the pivot point could be letting the air in.

let us know the results. these are relativly quick things to try to narrow down the source. not necessarly the fix.

I filled out a Chrysler customer feedback questinaire a couple weeks ago that was emailed to me. Subsequently had a response call from Corporate Quality Control given I mentioned this strange whistle in the questionaire. For fun I am going to let local dealer experience this at the request of the Corp. QC rep. that contacted me.....but given all the war stories I am not going to let them start trying to mitigate this until I can direct them as to the cause based uppon by investigation and those of you that are on this also.

In the end this is probably going to be just another "Jeep thng" one lives with! Had a 2000 so have been to the rodeo on this stuff.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Bub
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlcornelius
Done, I also taped off the whole front around the windshield, replaced the header seal, I might have over tightend the bolts in the rear of the fredom panels... gonna try that tonight. but it whistles with the top on or off...

HuH? It aint't the top, then. Must be a vortice or the intake system.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

I think it may be around the mirrors. I had that whisle too, and we attributed it to the position of the passenger side mirror. We moved it around a little and now no more whistle...true story!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

My mirror whistles a little, I just figured it was Whistling while it worked.

I guess it is my mirror, could be my windshield, it is the original.

Last edited by db09JKU; 01-19-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 whistles and my brother in law's 2007 whistles. I just assumed it was something normal with the Jeeps! Maybe I'll play around with mine to see if I can get it to stop. All stock right now including the Mopar windshield.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry to bring this issue back up.........anyone identified the cause?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had a 4-door '10 for about a month now w/ a hard top and haven't noticed any whistling noise. Just for a point of reference. Some wind noise, but no whistling.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Whistle

Did an experiment on mine that seemed to stop the whistle at 40 mph, taped a piece of wire acorss the front of the hood. It stopped it.

Heard it had something to do with the aero

Anyone else try this?

Quick Reply: 2010 JK Whislte w/ Hard Top!