Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2010 JK Whislte w/ Hard Top!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 JK Whislte w/ Hard Top!

Ok,
As you all know the 07-08 had a problme with the top leaking. Well After calling all of the local dealers and looking on line it would appear as if they have fixed it. On all of them except the one I just bought my wife (who is now very upset)..
The question is... Does ANYONE out there know why my Jeep Whistles at about 40+ mph?
Also does ANYONE know why it leaks like mad?

I thought Jeep fixed this crap!!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the panels off and wipe the seals down. The panels don't get set in an exact spot...you can shift them around a little bit.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have u modded your jeep at all. u have no specs listed or items added.

if not then there are a few options that i have seen

1. leak around the windshield(it is glued in but sometimes not perfectly and will make a whistle sound. i saw a post on here that im goona try for this prob is a small tubing pressed in around the windshield(between the metal frame and glass edge) sounds like a lame idea but it looked better than stock the way the poster did it and i intend to replicate the install on mine.

2. poor fitting hard top panels that are not sealing to rubber. remove your t-top panel and check for debris that may be lodged or preventing the panel from fully seating. i also have this from the rock hard cage-i have no desire to cut on my inner panels to help them fit.

i hope this helps, if not then take to dealer and ride with them to reproduce the problem. no excuses then. make them ride with you after the fix so that u have proof that the repair is good to ur satisfaction.(gotta make sure so the wife is happy)

rarely does jeep fix something-usually they just change the problem or move it somewhere else. welcome to the jeep family! ur in good company.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Done, I also taped off the whole front around the windshield, replaced the header seal, I might have over tightend the bolts in the rear of the fredom panels... gonna try that tonight. but it whistles with the top on or off...
Old 01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 4dr 09 top leaks more than my old 2dr 07. I think that's an assumption that it is fixed. Just because it is different doesn't mean it is better.

The whistle is more than likely a lifted header seal on the windshield or misaligned panels. Both would give you leaks also. If you don't have leaks, it's best to leave it be. It's only going to get worse having the dealership replace the header seal. Trust me.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the where the 2 freedom panels join up at the windshield. Check to see if these seal properly. I know I had to get the panel seals replaced as there was a good sized gap at the windshield.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm. with top on or off..........
try removing the attenna mast and go for a trip....
try removing the side mirror mounts from door(two screws inside. (this is for investagional purposes only)
try taping off the ac duct inlet below windshield
try taping off the winshield frame bottom accross the jeep.( the pivot point could be letting the air in.

let us know the results. these are relativly quick things to try to narrow down the source. not necessarly the fix.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks! No mods to this one yet, its just a few weeks old... not sure I would invest in this one if it is going to be a problem child...
First Jeep- 1979 CJ7 4" lift 33" tires...
Second Jeep- 99 TJ Sahara, Full Banks stainless Exhaust, Hypertect power programer, 3" OME lift, 33" BFG MTR's, Sony Stereo, 2 10" subs...
Third Jeep- 2006 Rubi, Black on Black, Unlimited... traded for Audi since Jeep spent more time at Chrystler than in my driveway...
Fourth Jeep- 2010 Sport Unlimited Deep Blue Pearl... Already set for its second trip to dealer with less than 2K miles on it...
Fifth Jeep-???????
Old 01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My hard top never leaked. My soft top leaks because I forget to put it on before it rains.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Will do, expect to hear back from me tomorrow!

Quick Reply: 2010 JK Whislte w/ Hard Top!