Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2010 JK Submarine

Old 04-15-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 JK Submarine

Well, the unthinkable happened a couple days ago. While returning from a beach bonfire, I crossed the creek and burried the Jeep. Not usually a problem except... well see for yourself
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-13_09-37-54_805.jpg
Views:	2465
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	304576Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-13_09-38-07_889.jpg
Views:	2377
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	304577

When the TIPM got wet and she started honking and rolling the windows up and down I almost died. It helped that I was severely Hypothermic.

ANYWAYS
So, I got it recovered and in the shop. Dropped the oil, changed the filter, pulled the plugs, blew the cylinders out. Engine is not hydrolocked, and mechnically speaking she is great. Just needs new fluids.

Electronically, however, is a completely different story. We pulled the TIPM apart which was wet. Ordered a new one. ECM is dry thankfully as well as most of the dash electronics. I'm thinking I might skate by with only having to claim part of my interior (I smell five point mastercrafts.)

Anyone ever have to deal with this?

For all the people who are going to give me shit about the snorkel, I am very aware of the limitations of it. This crossing has been well used by far less capable vehicles, as the tidal change came up the river rose with it.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that sucks. I know how it feels to be surprised by water that you have crossed numerous times
Old 04-15-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn dude.. that sucks :/ hope you get it all worked out
Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Normally if the water line reaches the guages almost all insurance companies will automatically total loss the vehicle.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Normally if the water line reaches the guages almost all insurance companies will automatically total loss the vehicle.
Thats what USAA said, I have high hopes I can get her running prior to the adjuster making it out. The cluster still works, and the engine turned over with the key, though only with the coil pack disconnected, after connecting the coil pack it refused to turn over.
I will be more inclined to call it a total loss if the replacement TIPM is not a success. I forsee issues such as the drive by wire, clutch safety switch etc.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

That blows!!! Glad you're ok.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

sounds like some drinking goin on
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like that spring thaw might of helped that water rise, Sorry man, and good luck
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Forma
Looks like that spring thaw might of helped that water rise, Sorry man, and good luck
Oh yeh it did.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine stuck in a muddy waterhole almost as deep as yours (water just lapping over the front of the hood) but mine was leaning nose down and to the other side so it didn't submerge the TIPCM. I didn't hydrolock the motor either (shut it down before it injested any) and was surprised by the lack of any water in intake manifold or crankcase considering the block was pretty much submerged for an hour, so it seems that the motor's seals hold up anyway.

Changed out all the fluids (diffs, tranny, transfer case) and all good. Only issues I had within a few months after the submersion were a failed ABS pump/module (which on my RHD JK is on the other side and was submerged) and a bad amplifier for the sound system (sits low down in the dash & was also under water) ; fortunately both issues were fixed under warranty (even though the dealer was aware that I had taken the Jeep for an unplanned swim) so all good.

3 & 1/2 years and 50K miles later & I've had no further issues with the JK so it seems that the electrical connectors are reasonably corrosion- resistant.

Quick Reply: 2010 JK Submarine