Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2009 Hill Assist Feature

Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always thought I missed out on something with my 08, but after hearing what this is meant for, I am realize I did not miss out on anything..
Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

All my vehicles are manual tranny ... and I actually like the Hill Assist on my JK. It would be nice if there was some intelligence built into it ... but it appears to just hold the brakes on for like 2 seconds or so if you had both the clutch and brake depressed and are on a hill. I had parked on a hill and when backing out I let off the brake and left the clutch depressed .. after about 2 seconds the brake release and the JK began to roll backwards. Too bad they didn't throw engine RPM or clutch pedal position into the equation of when to turn it off.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if anyone here read my complaint regarding my new JK (in the JKs are built from crap thread) going crazy with ESP and almost causing wrecks. The dealer currently thinks the Hill Start assist programming malfunctioned and was locking up very fast on and off messing with the ESP. They are unsure and are working with STAR or something like that (Jeep engineers).

Be careful out there. I had mine disabled at the time.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

I have been driving manuals my whole life and i LOVE the hill assist. It releases so easily I dont even notice it. And Im usually a very picky person but i think its one of the best things they done to the JK. Oh yeah and I also have no problems with the power output of the lil six. Mine is a 2 door 6 speed. But I have 35's and have yet to regear and it is still very livable. After all it is a Jeep not a diesel powered dually................ My last Jeep was a YJ with 35's and a 4cyl so this one is a rocketship. But I have also owned a 90 with a 4.2 (that my JK would smoke)and have driven more then a couple 4.0HO's and am still very impressed with the lil V6. Now when it comes to reputation and longevity the 4.0 and the 2.5 where very hard to kill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 09JKX; 04-23-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never needed HSA myself. Dont have any problems with it either. It seems that as soon as forward motion starts it releases. I really dont know what makes it release though.

My 3 teenagers sure have more confidence with it though.

Quick Reply: 2009 Hill Assist Feature