Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2009 Hill Assist Feature

Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like HSA, too, and I've been driving manuals my whole life.

I did have a scare where I pushed my garage door closer and then watched the door come down while the Jeep did NOT roll backward like I expected it to. Finally HSA released and I rolled back before the door crunched the bumper of the Jeep.

Yah, I know I could have just hit reverse, but sometimes the brain doesn't play catch up that fast.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do i have to turn it off every time i drive or is it once i turn it off it stays off until i turn it back on?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default umm

Originally Posted by SONIC
yeah exactly.

Hill assist is a "feature" that applies the brakes when the jeep senses itself stopped on a hill. So when you take off on a hilll you have to give it a lot of gas to overcome the brakes and the hill.

its a stupid feature meant to help people who suck at driving a standard.
But seriously those frigging mall parking lot hills can be a real bitch with a car full of shopping bags and kids, cell phone, purse, tennis racket etc.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by downunderdave
Here it be:

If you wish to turn off the HSA system, follow this
procedure:
1. Start with the engine off and vehicle in PARK (automatic
transmission) or NEUTRAL with clutch out
(manual transmission) with wheels straight. Apply parking
brake on manual transmission vehicle.
2. Start the engine.
3. With the engine running, the brake applied, and the
clutch out, rotate the steering wheel 180° counterclockwise
from center.
4. Press ESP OFF switch four times within twenty seconds.
5. Rotate the steering wheel 360° clockwise (180° clockwise
from center).
6. Cycle ignition switch OFF then ON.
7. If the sequence was completed properly, the “ESP/
TCS Indicator Light” will blink several times to confirm
HSA is off.
Steps 1-7 must be completed within 90 seconds to turn off
HSA. Repeat steps 1-7 to re-enable HSA functionality.

Wish my Aussie 2009 had the option, but no such luck.

I love how they come up with these rediculously convoluted processes to turn off/reset various features on the JK.
Check this one from page 449 of the O8 manual for resetting the windshield washer fluid light:

1. With the vehicle running and the fuel tank 1/4 full, adjust the tilt steering wheel to its highest position.
2. After setting the heater fan to "low" and adjusting the radio volume to 16, reach under the steering column with your left hand and and press the "Mist" lever four times in 9 seconds.
3. Between the third and fourth presses, use your right hand to reset the Trip B odometer
4. Pump the brake pedal three times in 6 seconds, making sure to hold your mouth right.
5. Sound the horn twice, turn your head to the left, grab your crotch and cough three times.
6. If the sequence is completed properly, and two gray squirrels are sacrificed under a quarter-moon, the windshield washer fluid indicator light will reset.

The first four times I tried it, all it did was make the Airbag-Off light flash.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by berg
At the rate things are going, here is the 2010 hill assist feature.

Attachment 19134

If I was that guy I would not get my foot anywhere near the clutch on that rig, nice lift though.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Splash
I love how they come up with these rediculously convoluted processes to turn off/reset various features on the JK.
Check this one from page 449 of the O8 manual for resetting the windshield washer fluid light:

1. With the vehicle running and the fuel tank 1/4 full, adjust the tilt steering wheel to its highest position.
2. After setting the heater fan to "low" and adjusting the radio volume to 16, reach under the steering column with your left hand and and press the "Mist" lever four times in 9 seconds.
3. Between the third and fourth presses, use your right hand to reset the Trip B odometer
4. Pump the brake pedal three times in 6 seconds, making sure to hold your mouth right.
5. Sound the horn twice, turn your head to the left, grab your crotch and cough three times.
6. If the sequence is completed properly, and two gray squirrels are sacrificed under a quarter-moon, the windshield washer fluid indicator light will reset.

The first four times I tried it, all it did was make the Airbag-Off light flash.

Overall the Hill Assist hasn't annoyed me yet. The first time it kicked on I was like "Are my brakes sticking wtf is going on?" Then I read the manual.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
nope. 09 was the start.
Wow, thats two POS things I missed out on by getting an '07.........Hill ASSisst and TPMS......
Old 04-15-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Hill Start Assist can be a PITA until you get used to how long it takes to switch off, but it does come in very handy when you need to back up on a steep incline.

The ramp to the underground parking at work is somewhere around 35 or 40 degrees, and every once in a while the door goes wonky so I have to back up the ramp to swipe my card again and get it to open fully.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love the hill assist! It makes my commute through down town Seattle WAY better.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by SONIC
its a stupid feature meant to help people who suck at driving a standard.
Well, it's for folks who suck at driving automatics as well- it applies to both. maybe it's for people who suck at driving on inclines. It activates at 3% inclines for manuals and 8% for automatics.

I would say I'm glad I don't have it, but it'll be on my next Jeep so they got me either way...

Quick Reply: 2009 Hill Assist Feature