Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2009 Hill Assist Feature

Old 02-11-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it's on pg 306, 307. There is all kinds of useful information in the manual. Check it out.

It bothers me too.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonard Massi
Ok, so give it more gas if that's the solution. I'll bet for a huge fee the stealership will take that feature off for you. Go to JK Jam and I bet there's a solution to the problem.
Actually, the solution is to learn to drive a clutch correctly.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I have never owned an auto. I have had a total of 9 manual vehicles from trucks to sports car. I can drive a stick perfectly.

For me, the hill-start often applies the brakes when you don't need it causing the vehicle to choke off. I can see the benefit off-road. But on-road it is more trouble than it is worth. to me, personally.

off-road I prefer the emergency brake also. but that's personal preference.

Last edited by saltman; 02-11-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SONIC
Does anyone know if my 07 has this lol?
nope. 09 was the start.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the rate things are going, here is the 2010 hill assist feature.

Click image for larger version

Name:	donkey%20pulling%20car.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	19134

Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for this thread!

This Hill assist feature has been a pita. After driving manual transmissions for years I thought this feature would be kind of neat to have, but it needs to either be a shorter hold time, or less brake pressure to hold it.

I have stalled the new Jeep several times because I don't rev it up to get it moving. Slight throttle and the hill assist acts as a resistance to move forward. Based on the slight throttle, stalled engine.

Thanks!
~ Brian
Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Our Mini Cooper S has a has a hill assist feature that works great. It holds you from rolling back and you just pull away with no drag. The one on my 09 JK feels completely different. It locks on the brakes and has to be overcome with power, when it releases you can hear a valve open. If you aren't paying attention and press the brake pedal hard while you are stopped you are guaranteed to stall it. After driving standards for 30 years I now panic like a blond girl with a learners permit at a stop light on a hill. May have to check in to disabling it. CM
Old 03-23-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also have been driving a standard for over 20 years, and I personnaly like the Hill assist. It is not necessary on the road, but I am not having the problems that everyone else is describing and I start off in second gear. Maybe some need it adjusted (if that is possible). In the end, I think it was designed to help reduce the wear on a clutch, especially when off-roading. I know that I do not have to feather the clutch as much off road and I have yet to use the P brake (used it all the time in my X). I think people just need to get used to it. I know it took me a while because I just wasn't expecting it. Then again, if you don't like it...turn it off.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

i don't really like the new hill assist cause i cant pull forward and roll back over and over until the car next to me full of girls looks and starts flirtin. it just sits there and waits for what feels like forever then lets out. i guess in the end i am in a Jeep and all no woman can resist
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I dont particularly have a problem with it either...I have only driven standards for a few years though so maybe i suck at it?

anyways, i dont have to overrev it to get it to release the breaks at all. Soon as i tip the throttle its off. Only thing i dont like is if you wanna roll down a hill backwards instead of putting it in reverese you have to wait like 5 seconds. Its a help though on huge hills...Idk, maybe its just a newbie thing. Oh well

Quick Reply: 2009 Hill Assist Feature