Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2008 Won't Shift into 4LO

Old 01-28-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Won't Shift into 4LO

Today down in the OBX the plastic clip on the transfer case lever...this is the second one to break...this one was one for over 2 years. Anyway, as it turns out one of my fellow club members actually had a replacement piece in his Jeep...they have broken twice already on his 2011!

We put it on...however, afterwards, I could not get it into 4LO...it shifts nice and smooth from 2hi to 4hi to N...then it feels like it never makes it to 4LO. No grinding or anything...honestly feels like the shifter needs to go just a bit more to make it into 4LO. So I immediately hit up Google on my phone and found that in a 2005 someone said that after installing a lift kit (body or suspension) you should lower the t-case cable (I never knew that nor did it) and they said in their TJ it was hitting a bolt head...just took some moving around and it worked fine. Any possibility something like this could be happening on mine? Of course, I ran the rest of the beaches in 4hi and got the hot oil light! Any thoughts? What can I do to remedy this at home and avoid the dealer?!

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Anyone?! Anyone...please?!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it is possible that the other clip( the one at the transfer case shift lever itself has cracked and is sloppy and not able to move the cable all the way due to that piece of sheet clip breaking apart. The other possibility is the cable has stretched and will have to be replaced.

I had both of my clips fall out at the same time at the dealership.....they replaced one under the jeep at the transfer case but i didnt have time to mess with the one in the console. Later i took the seats and console out and made my own clip using a stainless steel bushing, washer and an e clip. That one will never fail me again ever. While i had it apart i also took a hammer to the lever itself and bent it so that it will never touch my knee again. Best mod ever!

When i get the chance im gonna get under jeep and forcibly remove that crap clip and install my stainless steel mod replacement there as well. To hell with a damn zip tie!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Texas Trailmaker
Well it is possible that the other clip( the one at the transfer case shift lever itself has cracked and is sloppy and not able to move the cable all the way due to that piece of sheet clip breaking apart. The other possibility is the cable has stretched and will have to be replaced.

I had both of my clips fall out at the same time at the dealership.....they replaced one under the jeep at the transfer case but i didnt have time to mess with the one in the console. Later i took the seats and console out and made my own clip using a stainless steel bushing, washer and an e clip. That one will never fail me again ever. While i had it apart i also took a hammer to the lever itself and bent it so that it will never touch my knee again. Best mod ever!

When i get the chance im gonna get under jeep and forcibly remove that crap clip and install my stainless steel mod replacement there as well. To hell with a damn zip tie!
Don't suppose you have pics of this? I would like to get an idea of what you did...maybe try to do some of this myself! Thanks!!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember right there are a couple of threads on an alternative to the plastic clip with parts from Home Depot with part numbers and directions. See https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...linkage-repair
Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RubiDude

Don't suppose you have pics of this? I would like to get an idea of what you did...maybe try to do some of this myself! Thanks!!!!
Insert bushing into the cable end and slide onto the shaft.
Install wash on outside of cable/bushing assembly and lock inplace with the e clip retainer. The shaft has a lip that will take the eclip perfectly.

All stainless stuff from lowes. I used a bimetal bushing and ground it down just a bit to fit in the cable end snuggly. I hate excessive slack.

Jeep 09 JK rubicon Transfer bushing fix

Qty-2--bushing or tubing 29/64" or 0.45" or 11.4mm outer diameter and 5/16" or 0.315" or 8mm inside diameter BY 11/32" or 0.35" or 8-9mm thick.

Qty-2--Stainless fender washers with 9/32 or 7mm hole and outside diameter needs 3/4" or 19mm-thickness about 0.050" or 1.45mm

Qty-2-- 7/32 E-clips lowes part number 138750. They come as qty two.

The jeep shaft for bushing size is 5/16" or 0.31" or 7.8mm

The jeep shaft for E-clip size is 7/32" or 0.215" or 5 to 5.5mm

Jeep cable ends need to be enlarged from --- to 29/64" or 0.45" or 11.4mm. This is only to accomidate the large bushing i used. If u can find or make a smaller outside diameter then go for it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2212096596.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	275560   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2431495974.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	275561   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1461599164.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	275562  

Last edited by Earth Siege; 02-07-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Bump for rubidude!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

Thanks all! Gonna get at this this weekend! Missing out some obx this weekend cuz of this...gotta get this.done and this is a huge help! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Mine finally broke. Thanks for the pics, gonna fix it sometime this week. Having a hell of a time getting the transfer case shifter knob off though.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Subscribed

Quick Reply: 2008 Won't Shift into 4LO