Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2008 Unlimited OEM RR Window Fits, LR Doesn't

Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried dropping the top, and putting back up to make sure everything is seated correctly all the way around? Dont be surprised if one of the salesmen F*ed up the soft top showing it to people before you bought it...
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJackInGA
Thanks Saltman. I feel if I wasn't doing it correctly, then both sides wouldn't fit right, but it's just one.
Also, although this is a 2008, I did buy it new on May 23rd.

To add to this, I just took both windows out, layed them on the floor in the kitchen, and measured everything. They're exactly the same measurements.

When I went to put them back in, the only thing i see that's different is that the removable plastic door surround on the LH side fits just a bit differently than the RH side. It's hard to explain, but on the vertical part of the surround, the one on the RH (correct) side actually touches the roll bar. The one on the LH (incorrect) side sets off the roll bar about 1/2" or so. It looks like when the top is up, that the bow just above this part actually touches the top of the surround, and on the RH side it seems to push it closer to the roll bar. On the LH side it seems to not, but bow/surround do touch. The only thing I can think is that maybe someone stepped on the surround when it was off and tweaked it or something, but I don't see that causing this problem. I took it off and tried to see if it could be twisted to make it fit like the other one, but it looks like it can't be. I also found no cracks, etc in it.

Oh, and keep in mind that when I stopped for gas after picking the Jeep up at the dealer, is when I first noticed this problem, so it was like this before I ever had the window out.

I think this is going to be a dealer issue.
Pics if you can bro so we can see what you're talking about exactly.

TBH I have one side that seems to be a bit off but it seems more a "one has stretched more than the other" thing.

Things you could try:
1: Loosening the rollbar screw on the removable plastic door surround on that side (secured but not tight)

2: Zipper 1" -> Put int he Plasic Gutter that doesn't fit -> Pull down the window into the bottom gutter just the first little bit. Doing this pulls the entire window down and may make it easier to nudge the top part into the gutter better. Then Zipper the rest of the way and then do the bottom gutter.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
Have you tried dropping the top, and putting back up to make sure everything is seated correctly all the way around? Dont be surprised if one of the salesmen F*ed up the soft top showing it to people before you bought it...
I've had the top all the way down and up more than a few times since I've had it.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 PM
JK Newbie

DOH! I finally got a chance to watch the Jeep install videos (no high-speed Internet at home), and I immediately realized what the issue was.
It's not clear in the owner's manual, but the hard plastic strips that fit into the door surrounds have to be wrapped around them and pushed into the slot in them. I was just placing them flat around one of the bends, if that makes any sense.
Anywho, I'm an idiot, and this is no longer an issue.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJackInGA
DOH! I finally got a chance to watch the Jeep install videos (no high-speed Internet at home), and I immediately realized what the issue was.
It's not clear in the owner's manual, but the hard plastic strips that fit into the door surrounds have to be wrapped around them and pushed into the slot in them. I was just placing them flat around one of the bends, if that makes any sense.
Anywho, I'm an idiot, and this is no longer an issue.
Takes a big man to admit he's when he is wrong!

Congrats on getting it installed properly.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OOPs- missed the update, congrats on the success!

Quick Reply: 2008 Unlimited OEM RR Window Fits, LR Doesn't