Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2008 Rubican Unlimited -> 2015 Rubicon Hardrock unlimited - is it worth the extra $$$

Old 03-05-2015, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in the same exact spot

I have an 08 Rubicon Unlimited and I was actually thinking of trading in for a new Jeep GC. Now I'm wondering if I should trade for a new JK....hmmmmm
Old 03-06-2015, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

I had an 07' jku sport. Loved it, but it lacked power. I just bought a 15' Rubi back in November. I have 7900 miles on it already, and i absolutely love it. I considered the hard rock package, but didn't do it because the fog lights don't look very protected with the extensions removed, and i was told that the small recessed area in the hood held water. I used the money for .410 gears, leather, and sound.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roostermachiner
I had an 07' jku sport. Loved it, but it lacked power. I just bought a 15' Rubi back in November. I have 7900 miles on it already, and i absolutely love it. I considered the hard rock package, but didn't do it because the fog lights don't look very protected with the extensions removed, and i was told that the small recessed area in the hood held water. I used the money for .410 gears, leather, and sound.
Thats the nice part of ordering one. I ordered with 4.10's and all the goodies. The hoods don't hold water. That was fixed before they released the 10a hood. Just an FYI. 7900 on a 15 is some good milage
Old 03-08-2015, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

for the money, I think the Hardrock package is a good deal. the steel bumpers and power dome hood look awesome and the interior is great, you will not be disappointed.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zhuskers1
I have a 2008 Rubicon Unlimited with a good set wheels, tire and several other mods. My dealer is shooting me a good price to trade up to a 2015 Hard Rock unlimited. He is allowing me to move my wheel/tires (Tires have only 3000 miles on them) and a move few other mods to the 2015.

Question - to those of you driving with the updated interior and engine - is it worth it?

The dealer is telling me I will get much better power with improved MPG and the the interior is not only nicer but it is quieter. Is this true?

Any thoughts or insight form people who have the next generation or have made this move would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.
Depends what you use it for.
If its primarily your trail rig, the older 3.8 is better with lower end torque and city driving. But once the 3.6 gets above 2000rpm, WOW!!! Night and day. It actually scares me sometimes at how fast it is.
People might think I'm crazy but I get worse mileage on my 2012 MW3 2dr auto than on my 2010 4dr rubi 6spd. Both had 4.10s running same tires and lift, skids etc.
The interior however is also much better.
As for the rock hard option, we don't have that up here in the great white north.
Not sure what the price difference is.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeyes76

Depends what you use it for.
If its primarily your trail rig, the older 3.8 is better with lower end torque and city driving. But once the 3.6 gets above 2000rpm, WOW!!! Night and day. It actually scares me sometimes at how fast it is.
People might think I'm crazy but I get worse mileage on my 2012 MW3 2dr auto than on my 2010 4dr rubi 6spd. Both had 4.10s running same tires and lift, skids etc.
The interior however is also much better.
As for the rock hard option, we don't have that up here in the great white north.
Not sure what the price difference is.
3.8 and better should never be used in the same sentence. Lol.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
3.8 and better should never be used in the same sentence. Lol.
False! I have the 3.8 and it's better for preventing speeding tickets!
Old 03-08-2015, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the models with the 3.8 better. You do get better mpg with the 3.6 but you have better low end torque with the 3.8. The newer interior actually bugs the hell out of me. Regardless of quietness it just seems to (Chryslery) not as rugged if you know what I mean.
Also with the 3.6 engines if you ever wanted to lift it you have to modify the exhaust.
It really depends on what you do with the jeep. If you pull a lot of heavy trailers the the 3.6 is great for that. But like I said. Better Low end torque from the 3.8
Old 03-09-2015, 03:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Warpath66
I like the models with the 3.8 better. You do get better mpg with the 3.6 but you have better low end torque with the 3.8. The newer interior actually bugs the hell out of me. Regardless of quietness it just seems to (Chryslery) not as rugged if you know what I mean. Also with the 3.6 engines if you ever wanted to lift it you have to modify the exhaust. It really depends on what you do with the jeep. If you pull a lot of heavy trailers the the 3.6 is great for that. But like I said. Better Low end torque from the 3.8
Without igniting a debate, I also have the same personal preference. Just a personal preference.

Quick Reply: 2008 Rubican Unlimited -> 2015 Rubicon Hardrock unlimited - is it worth the extra $$$