Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2008 nJK Lifter Noise

Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 nJK Lifter Noise

I thought for sure this subject would have been covered by someone to some extent but I don't see it.

My '08 JK with 11,000mi and using Mobile One Synthetic 5-20 oil. I'm changing round 3,000 to 4,000 miles.

Does anyone have some or any, lifter noise mostly on cold startup? Even warm starts after sitting for maybe one hour there is also some noise. I'm close to taking to dealer so they can listen to this. Possibly the synthetic oil? I know that synthetic oils are good at becoming actual 5w when cold where the old oils were only capable of getting close to the lower numbers. Chrysler wants thin oils to improve fuel mileage and control ring sticking/cylinder scoring. I'll do what they say to do for warranty. What you guys have to say about this?

Dennis

Colorado Mountains

Redrock Unlimited JK 2008
6 Speed
KO BFG's and Mopar black factory 17" wheels
Cold Air Kit
Old 08-29-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's been covered quite extensively. I had it for one and ended up with a new engine at 18K. Try "knock" instead of tick and you'll get there.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:57 AM
JK Jedi

Also search oil filter threads, as it has been covered a lot regarding poor anti-drainback valves on a lot of the available filters (especially if you're using a Mobile 1 filter).
Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Also search oil filter threads, as it has been covered a lot regarding poor anti-drainback valves on a lot of the available filters (especially if you're using a Mobile 1 filter).
x2...Knock on wood, my JK is ~13000 miles...No knocks at start up and have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic with the Mopar oil filter...What brand oil filter are you using?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by aldaman
x2...Knock on wood, my JK is ~13000 miles...No knocks at start up and have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic with the Mopar oil filter...What brand oil filter are you using?

Mopar has been good for me as well. The Mobile 1 was horrible. Others claim that the Motorcraft works, haven't seen one yet to try though at my normal stores.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

I pourd STP motor treatment in my jeep an the tapping at start up quit.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mace
I pourd STP motor treatment in my jeep an the tapping at start up quit.
That's a band-aid, I promise you.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Here's that startup knock thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/startup-knock-oil-filters-bad-adb-valves-58896/ it has 12 pages of responses and charts all the common filters and their success from people here on the forum

page 47 has the tabulated results

Quick Reply: 2008 nJK Lifter Noise