Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2008 Jeep JK burning oil

Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as an update, after the last oil consumption test, they said it wasnt using enough oil to do anything. They kept saying if anything ever happens its covered. Idk if they are saying if i letnit run out of oil and it locks up its covered or what. I checked it the night before it went to the dealer and it was hardly on the bottom of the dipstick, but it had been almost 3,000 miles sooo. Guess they figured it had been using a quart per 1,000 miles which is within theyre idiotic tolerances. If i had known that she wouldve been almost empty when it went to the dealer.

For now, she runs 3,000 miles between oil changes and no oil is added. If she locks up, hopefully it'll blow the low end out. If not, ill make sure it has oil in it when its towed to the dealer. Im amazed that jeep can say using a quart per 1,000 is acceptable. Pure junk these engines are.

I drive a 94 zj to work as a dd. has 203,400 miles and it uses less than a quart per 4,000 mile oil change. It has zero blow by so i think thats mostly leaks.

Last edited by JeepJeepster; 01-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you let it run out of oil and lock up, it will be on your dime.....Check it every gas fill up and add some under a quart....keep a log. It is in your best interest to keep the engine from locking up. It will eventually drop under quart per 1k.....then you will get a new motor.....I did
Old 01-26-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

I have an '07 that uses oil and we closely monitor it so it doesn't get too low. I was helping a neighbor that has a 2010 Toyota Highlander V6 and in the owner's manual it says using 1.1 qts in 600 miles is acceptable! If it uses more then take it to the dealer. Makes Chrysler's 1,000 miles almost seem generous.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Another update... The engine is still using right at a quart per 1,000 miles. Last oil change, after 3,000 miles it had 3 quarts left in it. Wild these engines can run on just 3 quarts of oil and not run out of oil in the sump cruising at 80mph. You would think 3 quarts would take awhile to make its way back down to the pump.

It appears that at least 1 if not all 4 cats are now rattling. The check engine light has come on but Ive yet to check the codes, probably an O2 sensor. The engine has started to run and idle a little rough. Think shes on her way out! May take it to the dealer for the next oil change and have them do another 'oil consumption test.' I have an odd feeling its going to use more than a quart in a thousand miles this go around.

In other news, the door hinges are flaking off all of their paint. Nice..
Old 04-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepJeepster
Another update... The engine is still using right at a quart per 1,000 miles. Last oil change, after 3,000 miles it had 3 quarts left in it. Wild these engines can run on just 3 quarts of oil and not run out of oil in the sump cruising at 80mph. You would think 3 quarts would take awhile to make its way back down to the pump.

It appears that at least 1 if not all 4 cats are now rattling. The check engine light has come on but Ive yet to check the codes, probably an O2 sensor. The engine has started to run and idle a little rough. Think shes on her way out! May take it to the dealer for the next oil change and have them do another 'oil consumption test.' I have an odd feeling its going to use more than a quart in a thousand miles this go around.

In other news, the door hinges are flaking off all of their paint. Nice..
What weight of oil are you currently running? Have you changed out your pcv valve? As far as the hinges, is the paint bubbling, or pitting? If so, they can be replaced under warranty.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Another update. The intake manifold started to leak antifreeze pretty heavily. When parked after driving it would drip on on the driveway.

The thing has always used antifreeze but wasnt showing signs of leaking. Way back before they put re-manufactured heads on it, we took it in for disappearing antifreeze. They threw a new water pump on it but obviously that didnt fix it, so they put a new radiator cap on it. I had seen some antifreeze around the cap and mentioned it, so they replaced it.

Im guessing the intake manifold had always allowed the engine to suck in antifreeze(before and after the remanufactured heads), and now possibly oil (more on that later). The exhaust always seemed to 'steam' more than normal when first started. Even in the summer it would put out a cloud of steam. Never really cared about it, whatever. We topped it off when the heater core would gurgle when you started it...

Fast forward to about a month ago, I noticed the left rear axle seal was leaking when I was checking out the brakes. Amazingly this Jeep has used 2 sets of rear pads to 1 set of front pads. Its now on its 3rd set of rear pads. Before replacing the rear pads/rotors I figured the seal needed to be fixed first, oil was all over the parking brake shoes and the disc pads. I was searching threads on how to replace the bearing (no where near as easy as c clip axles!) when it popped into my head that it may be covered under the lifetime powertrain warranty. Surely enough, after calling the dealer its covered! I also mentioned that the intake manifold appears to be leaking antifreeze.

They checked into it and agreed the intake manifold is leaking antifreeze, and is also covered under the life time power train warranty.

This was all done around ~2,000mi ago and now has 2500mi on this oil change. I changed the oil to 5w-30 two oil changes ago and really didnt notice a difference in oil useage. Still had around 3 quarts of oil after 3,000 miles. I stayed with 5w-30 for this oil change for whatever reason. Why not... Checked the oil the other day and it was just touching the 'safe' zone! Normally there isnt any oil on the dipstick after 2500mi. And the antifreeze was still between add and full! Were not celebrating yet, but it 'appears' that the intake manifold was also causing the oil consumption. Ill measure the oil when I change it at 3,000mi and see whats left.

Couldnt imagine owning a JK without the lifetime powertrain warranty. Its at 122,000mi at the moment.

Now to figure out how to get the parking brake to work again... new shoes all adjusted, new handle inside (previous one broke the spring) and it still bottoms out. It will hold the Jeep on level ground... That 'auto adjusting clutch' in the handle seems about useless. I tried tightening it up with a small string and got it too tight, the shoes were rubbing so I had to cut it off. Gonna try to tighten it up again sometime..

Ive not changed the PCV valve but Ive been meaning to.

The paint on the hinges is long gone. They are mostly bare metal now.

Last edited by JeepJeepster; 01-04-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are lucky. My 2008 JKUR was burning oil, repeatedly would pop out of gear as the clutch was engaging, and the heater core melted the box so no warm air would blow on the drivers side of the jeep. Non of the local dealers would do anything for me even though I was the original owner and had the lifetime warranty. I traded it in january of 2014 when I could no longer drive safely due to being unable to defrost the windshield. I am now looking at trading my STI in on a new JK...still scared to pull the trigger even though my other 5 jeeps were all champs.
Do the new engines burn oil?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Thats pretty amazing. Ive never heard of a heater box melting. Ive been very satisfied with this dealer (Manns Chrysler in Mt sterling Ky). Two of our Jeeps have came from there and we would easily buy another from there if I was in the market for a new Jeep, which Im NOT.

We have 8 Jeeps and they have all been great besides the JK.

Read up on the 3.6 Engines. Seems they have head issues thats been addressed but there are threads out there about them also using oil. Not sure if its to the extent of the 3.8's though.

They also run at a crazy high temp. Some people complain of them overheating on the trails at like 250F. Supposedly its somewhat normal for emissions reasons.

Quick Reply: 2008 Jeep JK burning oil