Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2008 Hardtop repair

Old 07-29-2009, 03:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Hardtop repair

Okay, so I am not too careful when I take off the front panels...got them a little nicked and scratched...Is there a jeep product (like the little bottles of factory paint you used to be able to buy) that I can use to cover up the BRIGHT white scratches and nicks, or if anyone has used something aftermarket, please pass the brand, and color number...thanks...

Again, don't know why MOPAR would not put a little tint in the fiberglass to make it less obvious when you ding it...
Old 07-29-2009, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Uvavi8r
Okay, so I am not too careful when I take off the front panels...got them a little nicked and scratched...Is there a jeep product (like the little bottles of factory paint you used to be able to buy) that I can use to cover up the BRIGHT white scratches and nicks, or if anyone has used something aftermarket, please pass the brand, and color number...thanks...

Again, don't know why MOPAR would not put a little tint in the fiberglass to make it less obvious when you ding it...

A local automotive paint supply store can hook you up but if you must shop online here's but one option: automotivetouchup.com All this place is doing is taking your paint code and mixing off a mixing a machine that you would find in an auto paint store or a body shop.

Fiberglass has been long gone from the automotive industry and what you see is actually SMC or Sheet Molded Compound. Sheet Molded Compounded is basically a high grade fiberglass that is injected/shot into a mold and rapidly cured with high heat. One way you tell SMC apart from fiberglass is the back side of SMC is smooth while the back side of fiberglass you can feel the chopped fibers.

If it were fiberglass you might see a product with a tinted gel coat but what you have is an SMC top that has been painted the same way you would paint a fender.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help...yeah, knew it was some sort of compound, they can still tint it...I am really considering changing the color as well...but I beat the crap out of my tops...
Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

Default Sharpie

I've just been using a black sharpie permanent marker.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Okay, the sharpie sounds like it is right in my price range...until I gank them up really good....got one of those things laying around my desk somewhere...thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

x2 on the sharpie
Old 07-31-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea on the sharpie i'm gonna try it myself...
Old 07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dj4sin
I've just been using a black sharpie permanent marker.
I have used the same on the small stuff and it works well.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either a Sharpie or a model paint pen. Quick and cheap
Old 07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

another vote 4 the sharpie or magic marker

Quick Reply: 2008 Hardtop repair