Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2007 leaking water onto inside door handles!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, so I did take my dog out but it's still pissing rain outside. I did look through the window, however, and I only had (literally) 1 baby drop on the handle compared to the water works before. Its been sitting for almost 12 hours now. Soon as the clouds decide to stop leaking I'll get those photos to you. Sorry about the delays.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_23-016-07.pdf

Possible cause?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

wkjeeps.com/misc/Wrangler/JK_Water_Leaks_All.pdf

After reading through the document above, I realized my door surrounds are missing the foam on the end of them where it meets the a-pillar.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought some high compression weather stripping and put it on the ends of my door surrounds. Still leaks.

Now I've put some plumbers putty in the mucket where the door surround meets the a-pillar. Patiently waiting for it to start raining again.

Trying to keep a sense of humor about this.

Someone should tell Jeep to revise this decal. The top can't even protect you from the elements.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know this thread is kinda dead, but I figured I'd post my fix for the other '07 owners experiencing this problem. I fixed my leaks by ordering the foam repair kit, part number 68026937AB, and apply the necessary foam pieces to the end of the door surrounds as instructed here:
ht tp://www.jeepz.com/forum/attachments/cj-yj-tj-jk/7269d1297116092-jeep-door-leak-zodm-7utpnj.pdf

This is what they look like before you apply them.

Yesterday we had a tornado warning in our area and we experienced severe thunderstorms. I'm glad to report that my JK was bone dry this morning.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have an 08 and I've experienced this same leak since I first brought it home in 2007. The dealer performed the header TSB, installed the foam pads on the door surrounds where they meet the a pillar, and eventually replaced the entire top. Later I installed strips of velcro felt on the inside curve where the surrounds join the roll bar. This made the surrounds fit securely into position but I still had the leak although less severe. With us getting so little rain in my part of Texas, I never notice the leak until I wash the Jeep so it's become less of an annoyance.

Recently a good storm passed over and I was reminded of how badly it leaks in on the door handles. After that I became determined to find a permanent fix to what has to be a simple problem. As others pointed out, I noticed that the problem is where the door seal meets the surround. I've been through several Home Depot and part store weatherstripping applications to various degrees of success. They work but tear after egress and ingress a handful of times, the adhesive backing fails to adhere, or the leak moves to a new location. I'm glad to have found the leak, but I'm still trying to find the perfect weatherstripping to close the gap.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to stop mine from leakin with weather strippin, said f'it ripped it off and the factory foam. Doesn't leak as bad now. Now I really don't care, I run a bikini top mostly anyway and f'd up my softop bows backing outta my garage with the door 1/4 way down. So now i'm like a honey badger and don't give a shit.

Edit: I also have a hardtop that don't fit right no mo since I got in a wreck, so again I don't give a shit. I like the rain, reminds me of my teenage nights gettin freaky in my CJ-5.

Last edited by mkjeep; 05-27-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The problem I had with the weather stripping I bought from Lowes is that it gets saturated with water and then the water seeps by it. It also seemed to have much more memory to it than the foam stuff from Mopar.

FWIW, the Mopar foam said Nitto Denko on the adhesive backing.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came to my Jeep this morning and the interior was SOAKED as if there was no top on it?

I had it all over my shifter, my cupholders, dashboard, etc... all from the a-pillar leak. The header was bone dry.

Quick Reply: 2007 leaking water onto inside door handles!