Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2007 leaking water onto inside door handles!

Old 05-03-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunaviator
I tried every fix listed in the forum and none worked for me. I took my 07 2dr in a couple of times to my local dealership (Ray Brandt Dodge) just outside New Orleans. They made a couple of attempts to fix my leaks. The fixes worked for a short time and always came back. I finally got a district rep from Chrysler involved. I brought it back today for them to asses it one more time. I told them I want a 2011 soft top to replace my leaking top. It is there overnight and they will let me know something in the morning. I will keep y'all updated. I have faith in my dealership. They always take really good care of me. They value my business.
Let us know how the 2011 top works!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm surprised more people have not heard about this but yes, when looking at the door (I'm picturing driver's side) he pressed really hard on the top right corner - picture a football tackle. Passenger side would be top left.

I was shocked to see it but it seemed to have helped. I don't know if I'd recommend just anyone doing it - I don't know if I'd attempt it myself.

The other thing I tried a while back was to put a washer between the surround and the Jeep itself... this was a fix I saw on here that helps some people and not others... it didn't help me.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

I had a leak and the only thing I did was put the plastic sleeves over the sunrider option, keeps the top from folding in half for the sunrider. I haven't had a leak in weeks and we have had hard rain for weeks. This may not it for you but it did for me. Hope this helps you!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CherryRedJK
I had a leak and the only thing I did was put the plastic sleeves over the sunrider option, keeps the top from folding in half for the sunrider. I haven't had a leak in weeks and we have had hard rain for weeks. This may not it for you but it did for me. Hope this helps you!
Can you explain in more detail what you did!? I wanna try this!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Its the plastic things on the frame of the soft top, they are right above the driver and passager seats. If you have these slid up the front part of the top will not fold so you can have just the part of the top over the front seats off. They keep the front part of the top so that the whole thing folds back to have the top down. Did this help if not I will try to get a picture of it.

Hope this helps

Last edited by CherryRedJK; 05-03-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: adding photo
Old 05-03-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meredith124
First off, I know this topic might be like beating a dead horse, but, I still haven't found an ultimate solution for my leaky soft top!! Any help/ tips would be very much appreciated!!!
This TOTALLY worked for me. I 1st made sure the round knobs on the roll bar were tight. I tried some magic lube from the pool store with teflon. It stays gooey even in very hot or cold envirements. I applied it where the water was coming in on my top and foam and it stopped it completely. You do have to reapply it every now and then but it works great and the stuff is cheap. IT comes in a white tube. It is normally used to seal pool filter gaskets and o rings.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy fix here. First get some chaulk and rub it on the door seal. close door as you normaly would. Open door see were chaulk transfered to door frame. if the chaulk is even all around then your problem is most likely the little rubber seal between the window frame and the door surround. I just put some silicon/rtv between seal and door frame. If your leak is due to the seal not touching Go by some vaccum hose cut a small hole in seal and thread hose in to seal to stiffin seal. I would post pics but my Jeep is currently 300 miles away.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you try goo's, weather stripping or tape, give this a shot. It's easy, cheap, clean and worked for me!

Buy a pack of nylon washers. Unscrew the two knobs that hold each door frame to the roll cage. Place the nylon washers between the knob and the roll cage and re-tighten them.

On some JK's, the knobs do not tighten sufficiently to hold a good seal between the frame and the door. This is ONE way that water can get in the cab and leak on the door handles. Inserting the nylon washer insures they will be nice and tight.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

These are all good tips to try!!! Thanks for the detailed info! It seems to be the seals (weather strip) around my doors because when I take a hose and spray it at the top-middle of the door (on the outside of the jeep of course) I can see the water begin to drip into the cab and land on the door handles! So maybe should start with thicker weather strips?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by adammj
Before you try goo's, weather stripping or tape, give this a shot. It's easy, cheap, clean and worked for me!

Buy a pack of nylon washers. Unscrew the two knobs that hold each door frame to the roll cage. Place the nylon washers between the knob and the roll cage and re-tighten them.

On some JK's, the knobs do not tighten sufficiently to hold a good seal between the frame and the door. This is ONE way that water can get in the cab and leak on the door handles. Inserting the nylon washer insures they will be nice and tight.
Between the knob and the door frame or between the door frame and the roll cage.

Quick Reply: 2007 leaking water onto inside door handles!