Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Have you taken good care of your JK and experienced similar engine problems?
Yes, I have.
19.23%
Nope, knocking on wood.
80.77%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

2007 JK Engine blown!!!

Old 03-25-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started changing oil myself with synthetic and never thought of keeping receipts and a logbook, also the inspection every 5 yrs (my baby is 07 and bought it 11/06).

Gotta say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Old 05-17-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default Mine started to make noise too...

Just took my 2007 Unlimited to the dealership after I started to hear a ticking noise from the ingine. I have for a while now, had to put in about half a quart of oil in it every month because it consumes it like a thirsty horse. The dealership just told me that I need to pay $450 for a tear down of the engine so they can figure out what the damage or noise is. I am fearing the worst. At no time has my check oil lamp come on during my ownership. I have kept up on everything maintanence wize. Also, I bought this vehicle in March of 2007, so after reading these posts I am now about to throw up. Does anyone have any advise? One time after a oilchange about a year ago, I had to take it back because the ticking noise was there. Turned out to be low on oil! That was after a couple of weeks after the oilchange provided by the dealership! I need help!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 09 rubi, that I take very good care of (first and last new vechicle) started ticking about a week ago, went in to the dealer and they said as per type. 3 days later much louder, returned to dealer and the tech said he just looked at my jeep. Service writer said YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS THING. Long story short I need a new engine, short block is going in. 50208 km on the old eng what will i get with the new one?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dirtydog4x4
Wow $17.95 for an oil change! At a dealer as well. I think I can get the filter for that price.
Filters are $6.00 at the Dealer
Old 06-26-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

reading stuff like this makes me think i should be getting my oil changes and such at the dealer. just so i can document the maintenance. i had my 6spd trans replaced after 1-2k miles already, popping out of gear.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Mine's an '08, so I have the lifetime powertrain, but I'm genuinely concerned that Chrysler would toss some nonsense BS should my engine be another one of the unlucky ones.
Do all 08 Wranglers have a lifetime powertrain warranty? If so, is it only for the original owner?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mattox
Do all 08 Wranglers have a lifetime powertrain warranty? If so, is it only for the original owner?
07 JKU with nearly 60k. no issues....fingers crossed.

1. went to the jeep website and tried to drill down the warranties hoping i'd discover a lifetime powertrain even if i'm the second owner. didn't find the answer so i'll keep looking.

2. checked my oil, after crawling this post i'm paranoid. down a quart 1k since i last changed it.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattox
Yes, but only for the original owner.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

I have an 07 jk with under 60K and will be swapping a new engine in soon. I have a blown head gasket and have had the oil consumption issues too. It is cheaper to do a swap than fix the current engine. Since I wouldn't feel good selling my engine, I plan on tearing the engine apart and taking lots of pictures and maybe people on here can see something that is wrong with the engine.

I find it odd that an engine can be assembled WRONG and the manufacturer has NO responsibility to help with the repair. I am willing to bet something is not right with my engine.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by duneslider
I have an 07 jk with under 60K and will be swapping a new engine in soon. I have a blown head gasket and have had the oil consumption issues too. It is cheaper to do a swap than fix the current engine. Since I wouldn't feel good selling my engine, I plan on tearing the engine apart and taking lots of pictures and maybe people on here can see something that is wrong with the engine.

I find it odd that an engine can be assembled WRONG and the manufacturer has NO responsibility to help with the repair. I am willing to bet something is not right with my engine.
This should file as a lemon. Chrysler should fix it no matter how many miles. My 07 with 42k using oil. Started a consumption test this week. If my motor is using oil due to bad rings or an assembly problem then they are replacing my motor. Period. I will fight as long as I have to until they make it right. It is unacceptable. Dealers should be on our sides in getting these motors fixed and making things right...they get paid to do these repairs. I wonder what kind of warranties they give the '12's? I wouldn't by one. Too many new parts to break and not have them stand behind.

Quick Reply: 2007 JK Engine blown!!!