Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Have you taken good care of your JK and experienced similar engine problems?
Yes, I have.
19.23%
Nope, knocking on wood.
80.77%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

2007 JK Engine blown!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 bad engine

I had to have the bearings and crankshaft replaced after 50,000 on my 2008. I should of had left the engine run till it died completely. The dealership I had it fixed at was Kolosso in Appleton WI and they have the worst service I have ever experienced. I went in while they were replacing the crankshaft and they had parts on top of my soft top. A week after I picked it up I notice grill fasteners missing, the refrigerant cap was missing, a vacuum hose on the top of the engine was melted and there was an oil leak. They fixed everything and told me told me the oil leak was from when they pulled the engine and they cleaned it. The leak kept getting worse so I got under the Jeep and I saw exactly where the leak was. The oil filter was ready to fall off!!! Dont they have after action service checklist!! DO NOT EVER GO THERE FOR SERVICE! Ok Im done ranting.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by andrewzach
I had to have the bearings and crankshaft replaced after 50,000 on my 2008. I should of had left the engine run till it died completely. The dealership I had it fixed at was Kolosso in Appleton WI and they have the worst service I have ever experienced. I went in while they were replacing the crankshaft and they had parts on top of my soft top. A week after I picked it up I notice grill fasteners missing, the refrigerant cap was missing, a vacuum hose on the top of the engine was melted and there was an oil leak. They fixed everything and told me told me the oil leak was from when they pulled the engine and they cleaned it. The leak kept getting worse so I got under the Jeep and I saw exactly where the leak was. The oil filter was ready to fall off!!! Dont they have after action service checklist!! DO NOT EVER GO THERE FOR SERVICE! Ok Im done ranting.
I would tell Chrysler about that place....
Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
LIFETIME POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY

Inspections
In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain
inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years.

This inspection will be performed at no charge.

The inspection
must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue
this coverage.

Good to know
Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by humdezign
Just got the Jeep back today. Total cost $0.00. Current warranty status is lifetime power-train!
Glad everything worked out! Now get that lift on and join us for a few outings!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

so is anyone else running 5w30 oil now instead of the 5w20 Would this cause a person's warranty to be void?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Star
so is anyone else running 5w30 oil now instead of the 5w20 Would this cause a person's warranty to be void?
I run 5w30 Mobil 1, outta warranty but I've been running it since I had 20,000m on the jeep. I add less than a quart, more like a half every 5-6000m
Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

if i change my own oil would this void my warrenty. i dont like people working on my stuff very anal.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrewer22
if i change my own oil would this void my warrenty. i dont like people working on my stuff very anal.
Make a log book and keep the date, miles, kind of oil and filter used and all receipt's
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdubb75
It's good to hear a happy ending to your story. What did they end up doing? Rebuild, crate motor, new short block???

I will post a photo of the service ticket when I return, flying out of the country soon but yeah new short block with a long list of other parts.

can anyone tell me that has first hand knowledge on the topic. is it possoble to install the TeraFlex 2.5" with Shocks with-ought affecting my warranty and if so how do I make sure it doesn't effect it. I had to fight tooth n nail to get the warranty so i dont want to loose it.

Last edited by humdezign; 11-30-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's my story, eerily familiar:

On April 2, I noted a strange knocking in the engine on the way home from work, with associated power loss happening just before I got home. It felt at first like a cyclinder was out spark-wise, so I changed the plugs, fired it up again, no change. Checked the oil, bone dry...I had just replaced the oil less than 3,000 miles before this, so this had me shaking my head.

Contacted the dealer, they recommended having it towed to the service dept, I called AAA and had it towed...Upon examination at the dealership, metal shavings were found throughout the engine, later determined to be from a main bearing that disintegrated. Dealership contacted the extended warranty company to request what they considered to be a cut-and-dry engine replacement claim. Well, after four weeks of back and forth, the warranty company kept asking the dealership to tear down the engine bit by bit to ensure it was necessary to replace it...Dealership called me several times to express their frustration that the warranty place was doing what they (dealership) considered to be "wasting my money and delaying the inevitable...there's no way this engine shouldn't be replaced..." Finally, they agreed to give the dealership $5400 to get a Jasper rebuild. The engine was then due to be installed by 20 May. It was on track, with it being delivered 16 May and ready to go in. On 19 May (yes, one day before they were supposed to have it all done) the dealership was putting the engine into the Jeep when they noticed a hairline crack in the block that Jasper had evidently tried to weld and cover...

Not wanting to put a questionable engine into my Jeep (which I appreciate), they then had to contact Jasper back and start the three week process again...finally is was done in mid-late June...over three months since the incident occurred. Out of that three months of not having a Jeep, I was authorized a total of 6 days rental coverage from the warranty dealer and 10 days from Jasper who felt bad about the cracked engine...

Couple things I've learned in this whole experience:
1) Never count on a warranty company to do what's right the first time. Even with the 5-star dealership recommendation and having sent four separate inspectors out who all concurred that the engine needed replacing, the company still drug their feet. While I understand the economics of it all, it was just plain silly the way this went down...
2) Even with all the pain, the fact that I had an extended warranty in this instance saved me $5400 in the end. With two sons suffering from a rare brain disease, one of which underwent an experimental chemo/bone-marrow transplant procedure 8 months ago and has been in/out of hospitalization ever since, we simply could not have afforded to pay anywhere near that amount to get the Jeep fixed. That said, ALL WARRANTY COMPANIES ARE CERTAINLY NOT MADE EQUAL...beware!!
3) Being without your Jeep for an extended period of time, particularly in prime Jeeping weather, is just plain cruel and inhumane. You truly don't realize how much that vehicle becomes a part of you until you go without it and end up driving a "rental" car...
4) For all the bad experiences people have had at dealerships, I can honestly say that this dealership truly went to bat over and over again for me. They even tried to see if there was something they could do by contacting headquarters to find out if they could simply replace the engine. Without them keeping constant pressure on the warranty company for a decision, this would still be unresolved.

Quick Reply: 2007 JK Engine blown!!!