Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Have you taken good care of your JK and experienced similar engine problems?
Yes, I have.
19.23%
Nope, knocking on wood.
80.77%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

2007 JK Engine blown!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter01
This problem with engines going bad is like 07 specific or is it happening in all the year models?
All of my research so far, and trust me I have spent every free moment I have on this. Is related to 2007 - 2008's I don't know why possibly parts changed or are the 07 and 08's the only ones getting up there in miles?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtjk
sorry to hear you are having such bad luck with your wrangler!!
this is a seriously worrying thing, i have a 07 with 41000 and am now panicing!!!! i bought this car to keep forever ! not to have to rebuid at 50k WTF!!

..so sad right now!
I felt the same, loved my jeep and told myself I'd keep er till she died then I'd buy another one. I just assumed that was going to be closer to 200k.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also for y'all with 07's there's a chance that if you bought your JK after July 07 your warranty was upgraded to lifetime after the 3/36 expired. I'm still dealing with Chrysler on this to validate it but I will keep all u posted. Also there should be a sticky in my opinion that strongly recommends all of us check our oil levels often. I've seen Chrysler docks that say that 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal. There's also claims of jk owners seeing over 1 quart per 1000 miles. I know for 100% certainty that I had NO warning light if any kind but had I checked my oil every fill up, who knows?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

humdezign, looking at your avatar I think I may have found the source of your problem!

Seriously though, doesn't sound like fun. Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by humdezign
All of my research so far, and trust me I have spent every free moment I have on this. Is related to 2007 - 2008's I don't know why possibly parts changed or are the 07 and 08's the only ones getting up there in miles?
I can second this. I'v done extensive searching on every wrangler forum and not seen a single late year 2008 or later model have this issue.

I ran into a friend of mine who works at a dealership at a wedding today. We got to talking about my engine, as he was one of the techs working on it. He said my problem was a spun bearing. He mentioned that there were very few of them in, and all were 2008 or earlier models. He mentioned something about outsourcing the parts/labor of the engines being the issue.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

latest info, its 500 bucks for them to tare the engine down to find the cause and if its under warranty im told it will be covered in full but if they decide its not I pay. Why do i have the feeling there going to try to say it isnt covered
Old 11-22-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Can you wait 'til you find out if you have the Lifetime warranty?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I hope these instances turn out to me more the exception than the rule.

It sucks to think that you spend years piecing a jeep together the way you want and it could have major failure at such an early stage.

I have 76,000 miles on a 07 bought in February of 2007 so there wouldn't be any hope for me. It's had mobil 1 in it since 20k but apparently that may not be enough.... Where's the old bomb proof straight six.....
Old 11-22-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least this forum gives us the info to atleast be prepared/potential warning signs.

I'm honestly just waiting to get tires as my next mod. I really don't want to put on a bunch of stuff and then have to take it all off....I did that with my last car when i traded it in and it's a PITA.

All I want is for my engine to last until they gives us the 2.8 Turbo Diesel
Old 11-22-2010, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by humdezign
Yes on both points but Chrysler is saying that there records show me as the second owner I have the sales doc saying NEW/USED and its states NEW. I also have the doc stating mileage at 122 miles... wtf?

To my knowledge you cant call a previously owned vehicle as NEW with ought breaking laws so i dunno whats going on here but its starting to smell fishy.
Complete BS... your registration and sales paper should be enough.. i took delivery of my 07 in 08 as a left over, i have had to show my "unlimited warrante" paperwork before though to prove it.

Quick Reply: 2007 JK Engine blown!!!